From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Bishop Speaks of Attack and Reconciliation

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:39:43 EDT

For additional information:
Bishop Riah Abu el-Assal
St. Georges Cathedral
20 Nablus Road
Jerusalem
Tel: 02.627.1670
Fax: 02.627.3847
Email: ediosces@netvision.net.il

BEGINNING OF THE PALESTINIAN HOLOCAUST

JERUSALEM, 23 Apr 2002--The Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem has circulated today
an update of the situation he and Christians in the West Bank are facing.  He
describes both the continued military pressures from the Israeli army and the
impact that is having on his efforts at reconciliation.

The text of his message follows:

Dear Friends,

Salaam and grace in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and blessed greetings
from Jerusalem,

I want to thank you all for your continued support, your messages, and all
your thoughts and prayers at this time.  As we continue our ministry in this
land, we continue to witness the attack on the entire people in Palestine,
and the impact of it all on our work and our ministry of reconciliation.

I am sending this letter on my return from Nazareth to Jerusalem. I left
Nazareth early enough this morning to be able to attend the Heads of Churches
Meeting in Jerusalem at 10:00 a.m.  However, there were 14 checkpoints on the
Jordan Valley way, I was stopped at several of them.  At the 4th checkpoint,
a soldier said: "You do not look happy", to which I replied: "Only abnormal
people would look happy in this abnormal situation."

The drive was scary with hardly any movement, except for settlers, who looked
at me with suspicion, not to mention also the many army vehicles with many
soldiers carrying death in their hands, inflicting terror upon us all.  The
scene and the experience reminded me of the song that the Rev. Garth Hewitt
wrote:

"What's this war against the Children?
Against Women, too?
What does it make to your soul, soldier?
Power only makes you weak!
You have become what the gun has made you.
You are the terror on the street".

Antonela Notari, spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross
in Geneva, stated in an article in the Guardian on 17 April, 2002 that "it is
the responsibility of those fighting a war to look after the well being of
civilians.....  Israel has failed on this count on a massive scale in the
West Bank as a whole.

"Nineteen days of curfew and siege have deprived two million Palestinians of
access to medical care, food and drinking water. Israeli tanks trundled over
water maims and cars, and ploughed through electricity and telephone wires,
depriving most neighbourhoods of basic services.......  The bodies had been
left to rot in homes and streets for days, and the wounded to bleed to death,
because the Israeli army banned ambulances from entering the battle
zones.....  The army regularly seized male civilians of all ages from their
homes and used them as human shields."

This gives a good overview of the dire humanitarian needs of the communities
at this time.  Many families of our Churches have lost their professions, as
a result of the destruction of their shops, offices, or clinics.   They all
have to start from scratch, and they are people who had nothing to do with
any armed activity.

The story of the camp in Jenin will become a paradigm for Palestinian
struggle and survival and the basis on which they will continue to voice
their history and their right of their own state.

The Amnesty International report about Jenin states that it is "one of the
worst scenes of devastation" they have ever witnessed.  It is almost
impossible to conceive that what was once a town is now a lunar landscape.
Who knows?  Who cares?

This may be the beginning of a Palestinian Holocaust. However, [Amnesty]
added that "If this was an earthquake the international community would be
asked for and give urgent help.  It is shocking that the authorities have not
asked for help and that the international community is not offering it.  Let
this be the wake up call that help is needed now to save what life there is
left".

We have been receiving many letters of support that do not only speak of the
thoughts and prayers of many, much as this is important, but also of the need
for action. It is the wake up call for all of us.  It is incumbent upon us
all to rise and voice the need for Justice, for those who have no hope.  A
poignant statement from Dante says: "The hottest places in hell are reserved
for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality".
This comes to compliment what Edmund Burke also says: "The only thing
necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

There is an urgent need to work to influence public opinion and to provide
the atmosphere that might influence the decisions that are being made.  Many
are writing to their MPs and others seeking to force their governments to
pressure their decisions, to see a different reality, and work for justice in
the Middle East.  The media does not always provide the picture that reflects
the reality as well as the sufferings of many in this land.

Keep up your prayers, for they are very important.  We may at times feel
helpless, and we do.  But we offer all our helplessness to God in prayer,
always hoping to meet him in the future, not only in the past, as he appears
to us risen from the dead, proclaiming Peace among his disciples, and all his
followers, but also showing his wounded hands and side, and manifesting forth
that there can be, and there is another way for the world, other than that of
power, and retaliation.

May God bless you all, and know that this comes with my prayers and best wis
hes,

In Christ,

+Riah Abu El-Assal.

-end-