From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Pastor to Begin Coast-to-Coast Unicycle Ride

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:18:31 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 24, 2002

LUTHERAN PASTOR TO BEGIN COAST-TO-COAST UNICYCLE RIDE
02-096-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Lars C. Clausen, Greenback, Wash., a
pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), plans to
ride his unicycle 5,000 miles, from the Pacific to Atlantic coasts of
the United States, to raise $5 million for the church's ministries on
Alaska's Seward Peninsula.  He will leave Neah Bay, Wash., on April 29
and arrive in New York on Aug. 10 -- 103 days later.
     Clausen's trip, "One Wheel -- Many Spokes," is to benefit the
Seward Peninsula Lutheran Endowment Fund, managed by the ELCA
Foundation, Chicago.  The endowment now has $222,000 to provide a
consistent funding source for the ELCA's ministry on the Seward
Peninsula, jutting out 200 miles into the Bering Sea from west-central
Alaska.
     Clausen intends to spend most evenings during the trip making
presentations about unicycling and Inupiat Eskimo ministry in churches
along the route.
     "I'm riding this summer in the hopes that the church at large and
the ministry in particular will benefit by securing the endowment for
Seward Peninsula Lutheran Ministry," said Clausen.  Everyone across the
United States would benefit from learning more about the culture of
Alaska Natives, he said.
     The ELCA "would do well to recognize Seward Peninsula Lutheran
Ministry as a unique treasure and do everything it can to support the
needs of this ministry and to learn from the wisdom and experience
embodied in this ministry," said Clausen.
     "The unicycle and the ride do attract attention.  They give us and
all who are interested in Seward Peninsula Lutheran Ministry an
opportunity to talk about the value of the ministry and the endowment,"
he said.
     "The Seward Peninsula Lutheran Endowment was in existence before I
ever thought of riding my unicycle across the United States," said
Clausen.  "This unicycle ride provides a focus for people to put their
energy into the endowment effort at this time."
     An avid runner, Clausen developed plantar fascitis -- an overuse
injury to the soles of the feet.  So, he diverted his energy toward
unicycling.
     "On one of my first rides out I had such strong remembrances of
bicycling across the United States in 1987 that I started dreaming about
unicycling across the country," said Clausen.
     In 1992, Clausen's first parish as a pastor of the ELCA was Our
Saviors Lutheran Church, Nome, Alaska -- one of six parishes that make
up Seward Peninsula Lutheran Ministry.  The ministry there dates back to
1894, when the Rev. Tollef Brevig came to Teller, Alaska, to serve as
pastor for transplanted Norwegian reindeer herders.
     Clausen and his family fell in love with the people and their
culture.  "People shared their lives with us and included us in their
traditions," he said.  "Our two children have Eskimo names -- Ayayat and
Kooyoruk -- that were given to them there."
     The hunting-gathering culture there is entirely renewable and
exists "only at the margins of the agricultural-literate culture that
dominates the globe," said Clausen.
     Inupiat people "offer us a window into the past as well as
cultural values that can be an important resource for the whole world.
Respect for elders and traditional wisdom, care for children, community
values of sharing are but a few of the resources which Seward Peninsula
Lutheran ministry can offer to our global world," said Clausen.
     "They have also adopted Lutheran Christianity as an integral part
of their lifestyle," he said.
     Clausen brought his unicycle to Nome and his dream to set a long-
distance record unicycling across the United States.
     "I thought that I would offer to do the ride for some cause that I
care about.  Seward Peninsula Lutheran Ministry came quickly to mind,"
said Clausen.  "I rode home and asked some elders if they thought it
would be a good idea.  They thought so, and that was the beginning of
the One Wheel -- Many Spokes project."
     The six ELCA congregations in Alaska's Seward Peninsula Lutheran
Ministry are:
 + Alaska Native Lutheran Church, Anchorage
 + Brevig Memorial Lutheran Church, Brevig Mission
 + Our Saviors Lutheran Church, Nome
 + Shishmaref Lutheran Church, Shishmaref
 + Teller Lutheran Church, Teller
 + Thornton Memorial Lutheran Church, Wales
-- -- --
     The "One Wheel -- Many Spokes" campaign maintains a site with
route and donation information at http://www.onewheel.org/ on the Web.
There are also pages with information about the ministry and culture of
Alaska Natives.
     The ELCA Foundation is at http://www.elca.org/fo/ on the Web.

EDITORS: While Clausen is on the road, media contact will only be
possible by e-mail to his lars@onewheel.org address.  Leave a phone
number.

For information contact: