From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Vision for Mission Supports Domestic, Global Mission

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:05:57 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 26, 2002

ELCA VISION FOR MISSION SUPPORTS DOMESTIC, GLOBAL MISSION
02-99-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The 5.13 million members of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) have supported family farmers and
urban ministries in the United States, and focused on health,
education and community development overseas.  One way members have
done that is by supporting Vision for Mission, an annual offering
designed to support the church's domestic and global mission.
     The offering provides an opportunity for members of the church
"to make gifts over and above regular congregational giving," said
Kathleen Hetland, coordinator, Vision for Mission, ELCA Division for
Congregational Ministries.  Established by the 1993 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly, Vision for Mission is designed to support the church's
mission through "celebrative giving," she said.
     Vision for Mission allows for direct support from individual
members and congregations of the ELCA through gifts used for current
operations or as an endowment.
     As of 2001 contributions to Vision for Mission have totaled
more than $10 million.  An endowment of $4.56 million for the Herbert
W. Chilstrom Vision for Mission Endowment Fund is maintained by the
ELCA Foundation.  The endowment will help provide financial support
for the development of new congregations in the United States in
partnership with the ELCA Division for Outreach, support worldwide
ministries with the ELCA Division for Global Mission and develop
evangelism resources through the ELCA Division for Congregational
Ministries.  Chilstrom was elected first presiding bishop of the ELCA
in 1987 and re-elected in 1991; he retired in 1995.
     In a letter to contributors of Vision for Mission, the Rev.
Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the ELCA, said, "Vision for
Mission makes a difference in the ELCA."  It "supports the main
engine that is mission support, undergirds our churchwide evangelism
and leadership development efforts, and makes possible all those
ministries we do together that no one congregation could do alone."
     "Currently we have 305 ELCA mission personnel serving in 45
countries around the world.  This year alone, we have 120 new
congregations under development in the United States, half of them in
ethnic-specific and multicultural contexts.  With your support, we
could do more," Hanson wrote.
     Vision for Mission offering materials, sent to individual
members and congregations of the ELCA every year, include bulletin
inserts and envelopes, newsletter articles and vignettes, a poster,
suggested hymns and prayers.  The third Sunday in May is designated
as the day to launch the Vision for Mission Annual Churchwide
Offering, although "other dates can be chosen," Hetland said.
- - -
     Information about Vision for Mission is maintained at
http://www.elca.org/dcm/stewardship/vision/background.html on the
ELCA Web site.

For information contact: