From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Wagner College Names Guarasci As President

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:54:02 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 26, 2002

ELCA WAGNER COLLEGE NAMES GUARASCI AS PRESIDENT
02-101-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dr. Richard Guarasci was named president of
Wagner College effective June 1.  Wagner, Staten Island, N.Y., is one
of 28 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).
     For the past five years Guarasci has been serving as Wagner's
provost and senior vice president for academic affairs.  He will
succeed Dr. Norman Smith, who will become president of The American
International University, London.  Smith is the longest serving
president of Wagner's 119-year history.
     "I am honored to have been selected by [Wagner's] board of
trustees to become the college's 18th president," Guarasci said.  "I
have come to love this college, and I very much agree with those who
believe that Wagner is positioned to become one of the truly
distinguished private, residential, liberal arts colleges in America.
I am excited about assuming this important position and look forward
to working with the Wagner community in taking the college to the
next plateau," he said.
     Guarasci was born in Brooklyn, N.Y.  He earned a bachelor's
degree at Fordham University, New York City, and earned a master's
degree and doctorate at Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
     From 1992 to 1996 Guarasci was dean and taught political
science at Hobart College, Geneva, N.Y.  He also served as dean and
founding director of the First Year Program at St. Lawrence
University, Canton, N.Y.  Guarasci served on the National Board of
Directors of the American Association of Colleges and Universities,
and is a Fellow of the Society for Values in Higher Education (SVHE)
and a PEW Foundation Fellow with The Washington Center for Learning.
He is a member of The Asheville Institute and an advising board
member for the Models for Democracy Project of SVHE.  Guarasci has
written several books and numerous articles.
- - -
     Information about Wagner College is maintained at
http://www.wagner.edu on the Internet.

For information contact: