From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Celebrating diversity: Conference-goers envision a multicultural future for PC(USA)

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Apr 2002 15:16:06 -0400

Note #7143 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

30-April-2002
02160

Celebrating diversity

Conference-goers envision a multicultural future for PC(USA)

by Evan Silverstein

ROMULUS, MI - Jose Cintron of New York City had no expectations at the start of his first Presbyterian Church (USA) Multicultural Church Conference.

The Puerto Rican-born elder at West-Park Presbyterian Church on Manhattan's upper West Side learned only two weeks ago about the four-day event, which ended on April 28, outside Detroit.

But Cintron, 49, certainly was amenable to the conference's call for a fully inclusive multicultural PC(USA) representing the full spectrum of races and cultures.

His 100-member church, which includes Hispanic, African-American, Afro-Caribbean, Asian and Euro-American members, hired a new pastor last year specifically to bolster its multicultural ministry.

Cintron said the West-Park congregation sees its mission holistically, recognizing differences and building cross-cultural understanding among its diverse membership - another theme emphasized by conference organizers.

"We just try to look for common ground," said Cintron, a New York City resident since 1983 who works as a manager in the city's Housing Department. "We're not perfect. We have our differences. But we always try to find why a person feels differently. If we can't agree on something, we agree to disagree. Like every family."

West-Park church, formed around 1884 by a merger of two Presbyterian congregations, has members from eight South American countries, Cintron said.

"It's very enriching in that sense," he said, noting that his brother, also a West-Park parishioner, is married to an Inca Indian woman raised in Peru.

Nearly 200 Presbyterians joined Cintron for the PC(USA)'s third annual Multicultural Church Conference, including people of Asian, Hispanic, African and Middle Eastern heritage.

Participants celebrated their collective diversity by exchanging opening-night conversation in their native languages, to the melody of a musical trio led by Debbie Dierks-Washington, music director of Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church in Louisville, KY.

They exchanged ideas and experiences, attended workshops, listened to expert speakers and joined in spirited worship services.

"Are you excited? Are you excited?" called out the Rev. Rose Niles McCrary, a pastor from Mount Vernon, NY, who shared the mistress-of-ceremonies role with the Rev. Karen Hernandez-Granzen, of Trenton, NJ.

McCrary called the group's attention to "these great, relevant opportunities that (reflect) Christ's Gospel and represent this marvelous image" of a fully inclusive, multicultural church. "We're so excited that we can do this together."

At a time when 2.4 percent of all Americans identify themselves as members of more than one race, PC(USA) congregations are sensing a call to become more culturally inclusive. Evangelism officials believe the denomination now has about 350 multicultural churches - those that incorporate the cultural traditions and dimensions of more than one ethnic or racial group, from worship and education to mission and ministry.

Conference speakers and workshop leaders explored such aspects of multicultural ministry as creating effective multicultural worship, developing leaders in multicultural congregations; adapting to changing demographic trends; and facing the unique challenges presented by multicultural new-church developments.

The event, held in Romulus, about 30 miles west of Detroit, included a dinner and worship at a local Presbyterian church. It was sponsored by the Office of Evangelism and Racial and Cultural Diversity (ERCD), part of the Evangelism and Church Development Program Area of the National Ministries Division.

The theme of the gathering was Claiming the Vision: A Multitude of All Nations Praising God. The conference presenters, including the keynote speaker, the Rev. Justo Gonzalez, challenged Presbyterians to live out John's multicultural vision in the Book of Revelation by creating a "new Jerusalem" that includes "every tribe and nation and people and language" from around the world.

"A city ... for the healing of the nations" is how Cuban-born Gonzalez, a noted Hispanic scholar and author, described the vision. "A city that welcomes and receives and accepts the contributions of all the kings of the Earth. That is a city which God promises, and which John sees."

Like Jesus, Presbyterians must cross all social, cultural, religious, racial and language barriers "in standing before the throne and before the Lamb," said the Rev. Raafat Girgis, associate for ERCD.

"Look around you, tell me what you see," Girgis said on opening night.

"The face of God," one of his listeners replied.

"Amen," Girgis said. "The face of God. ... I can see that, too. I see the reflection of God's love, and of God's service on Earth. I see all shades of color in an area of culture and languages. We are the true church as the Lord intended for it to be. We are of God's kingdom - as John envisioned. And you are my brothers and sisters, the ones who will bring this wonderful vision to fulfillment. We are called tonight to be a multilingual, a multiracial and multicultural church."

Multicultural congregations are increasingly vital to the denomination as urban centers are drawing the nations of the world together, Girgis said, noting that the majority of the U.S. population will be non-European by the year 2050.

"There is no church redevelopment or even new-church development without considering multicultural ministry," he said.

Girgis said building the perfect multicultural church will be a daunting task, especially for the PC(USA), which is still about 95 percent white.

"This is not an easy task, my friends. It is a painful one," he said. "But so was the cross. Don't forget that."

More optimistically, Girgis pointed out that the number of multicultural churches in the PC(USA) grew from about 100 congregations in 1998 to 255, with a total membership of 34,207, in 2000.

Participants emphasized the need for more work.

"We can be more intentional as far as diversity," said the Rev. Larry Edwards, associate for racial-ethnic social justice ministry for the Synod of the Covenant. "We could be more intentional in regards to allowing this to happen and ... creating more diverse congregations within the context of the church."

Edwards said his Columbus, OH-based synod has made "intentional moves" to create diverse congregations and broaden diversity within congregations, in part through a program in which it provides start-up grants for development and redevelopment projects.

"I guess one of the issues that I feel the church really needs to be more intentional with is our multicultural training, our anti-racism training," he said.

Rosemary Stelz, a student at the University of Dubuque Theological Seminary in Dubuque, IA, who is originally from the Chicago area, said she is accustomed to a multicultural environment. She said she believes the PC(USA) is striving to become more inclusive.

"It appears to be, yes," she said. "I'm very excited to be here ... and to see the different ethnicities and just the wealth of diversity and wisdom and intelligence that we have in the denomination."