From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Southern Ohio bishop opposes UBE's Cincinnati boycott decision

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 1 May 2002 16:29:59 -0400 (EDT)

May 1, 2002

2002-107

Episcopalians: Southern Ohio bishop opposes UBE's Cincinnati
boycott decision

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) Bishop Herbert Thompson, Jr. of Southern Ohio issued a
statement May 1 expressing his "regret" at a decision by the
board of the Union of Black Episcopalians (UBE) not to go to
Cincinnati for its annual meeting and conference in July.

"UBE leadership appears to have based this decision on past
press reports rather than the extraordinary progress this city
has made in recent months," Thompson said. "Over the past year,
Cincinnati citizens have worked together for meaningful change
aimed at achieving racial equality and dismantling barriers that
limit opportunity.  New programs have begun to address
grievances and intentional dialogue has been taking place in
neighborhoods across the city....

"The struggle against racism remains an issue for every American
city. I am proud that Cincinnati has stepped to the forefront in
this struggle and that so many people in this community continue
to work tirelessly to make Cincinnati not just a better city,
but a model city for all America. I am equally honored to serve
the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Southern Ohio as we
continue to strive for justice and peace among all people and
respect the dignity of every human being," the statement
concluded.

Patterns of racial injustice cited

Responding to a call for a boycott, the UBE board voted not to
go to Cincinnati because of racial tensions and what the board
called a failure by the city's leaders to address them "in any
meaningful way." The decision was announced in a letter
dated April 11.

The Southern Ohio chapter of UBE had offered to host the 2002
meeting in Cincinnati at the 2000 meeting. But the national
board noted that since 1995 over a dozen young black men have
been killed by Cincinnati police, and the shooting of Timothy
Thomas on April 7, 2001, touched off three days of rioting and
protest by the black community.

"The shooting of this unarmed black man was merely a palpable
and poignant manifestation of the racial injustices that had
gone unaddressed for years," the board's letter stated.
"Fact-finding over the past year has documented a pervasive
alleged pattern of racial profiling, brutality, and callous
disregard for the rights of black citizens by the Cincinnati
police. The City of Cincinnati refused to confront and tackle
the legitimate demands of the black community for educational,
economic and political equality."

Two community-based groups, the Black United Front and the
Coalition for a Just Cincinnati, issued a call for an economic
boycott of the city by all social groups, businesses,
conventions and entertainers. So far, Bill Cosby, Whoopie
Goldberg, Smokey Robinson, Wynton Marsalis, and the Progressive
National Baptist Convention have all canceled previous plans to
come to Cincinnati.

The UBE board noted that the organization will have to pay "a
significant economic price" for the decision, including a
$61,000 charge for terminating the hotel contract.

No assurances for youth

The board said it was "not unmindful" of recent efforts by
Cincinnati officials to address racial issues, but questioned
the time and effort it has taken for the city to begin remedies
and whether the delays demonstrate a lack of good faith on the
part of the city. The board also expressed  "deep concerns about
the safety and well-being of our young people on the streets of
Cincinnatiit is of paramount importance that we be able to
assure our youth attending this Conference that they will not be
subjected to questionable conduct on the part of the Cincinnati
police department. Given the current level of racial tension,
the ongoing issues of police insensitivity, and a city
administration that has yet to prove its commitment to change in
any demonstrable way, we cannot give those assurances. "

The board is asking local chapters to hold three or four
regional conclaves focusing on the intended theme of the
national gathering, which was "Witnessing Our Faith: Disciples
Making Disciples."

------

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.