From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Maryland tornado damages some Episcopal churches

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 3 May 2002 12:36:20 -0400 (EDT)

PLEASE NOTE: Due to a malfunction in our automated posting system, this story is being
posted manually to the list. Duplicate copies MAY arrive when the automated posting system
is restored. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

2002-110

Maryland tornado damages some Episcopal
churches

by Daphne Gerig

(ENS) A devastating tornado hit Charles County in southern Maryland on April 28,
damaging several churches in the Diocese of Washington.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration damage assessment team
rated the tornado an F5 on the Fujita Tornado Damage Scale, with winds in the
261-318 mph range.

Bishop-elect John Chane, assisting bishop Allen Bartlett and priests in region 6 and
around La Plata, Maryland went the next day to evaluate the damage four local
parishes suffered from the tornado and accompanying thunderstorm.

All Saints', Oakley

The Rev. Kathie Price reported that there was a loss of power to the church for an
hour and a half. Parishioners in areas near La Plata did not suffer damage.

Christ Church, La Plata

The Rev. Joseph Trigg and Chane reported that the storm, the worst ever to hit the
state, totally devastated downtown LaPlata. Christ Church's parish hall suffered
more than the church building itself, with significant roof damage--about one-quarter
of the roof was lifted up. Outside, trees and shrubs were uprooted and scattered.
Damage to the parish hall is a major concern for the church, as one of its main
sources of income is a day-school operated out of that building and closing down
the school indefinitely for repairs will strain their resources, Trigg said.

"There were many windows blown out in the church and in the Hamilton Roberts
House, but we lost no stained glass. There was no water damage anywhere;
everything was quite dry," Trigg reported Monday by email. "As best I can tell,
there is nothing that cannot be fixed. I understand that several families have suffered
serious damage to their houses. I have not heard of any serious injuries to parish
members."

The church building suffered some damage, with one of the doors pulled away and
some slight roof damage. As it is a historical building, Trigg said he was concerned
to find the appropriate craftspeople to assist with fixing the damage. Church
Insurance representatives and Robert Tomlinson, property manager at the diocese's
Church House, is working with the parish.

Trigg's car suffered major damage to the windshield from the hail, and he said it
looked as though someone had taken a baseball bat to the car. A parishioner's
house was completely destroyed by the storm.

Ironically, he remarked, at the time the storm hit, a group was meeting in the parish
hall to plan a trip to New York and visit Ground Zero. As the tornado hit the parish
hall, he reported, the group ran to a bomb shelter and got a taste of their own
"ground zero."

All Faith, Charlotte Hall

The Rev. Theodore Johnson reported that no parishioners were injured, although
some lived very close to the scene of the devastation. One family lives about a mile
from where the tornado destroyed homes and took a life; they reported that
softball-sized hail stones broke windows and dented vehicles at their own and
neighbors' homes. Some offices in downtown La Plata suffered damage, and many
houses are without electricity and telephone service. Telephone service has been
disrupted, and Johnson said he hasn't yet been able to contact every parishioner
who lives in or near LaPlata.

St. Barnabas', Temple Hills

The Rev. Sherrill Page says the area got "a lot of hail" but no other signs of damage.

Donations for the people of La Plata, Maryland, may be directed to Catholic
Charities at the Charles County Family Life Center. Donations are used directly to
assist the people of La Plata.

Send donations to:

Charles County Family Life Center

Marsha K. Tidler, Center Administrator

PO Box 487

LaPlata, MD 20646

Tel: 301-934-2582

Fax: 301-934-3439

Email: TidlerM@CatholicCharitiesDC.org

Further information is available on the Center's website, located at
http://www.catholiccharitiesdc.org/center/somd_centers/charco_fam_ctr.html.

--Daphne Gerig is program, education and communications officer for the
Diocese of Washington.