From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church takes new approach to reaching post-moderns

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 6 May 2002 14:32:54 -0500

May 6, 2002 News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{202}

By Michael Wacht*

ORLANDO, Fla. (UMNS) - New Hope United Methodist Church has no building or
geographic region, but it does have a target demographic group. It also
receives no funding from its district board of missions and church
extension. And that combination makes it unique among new United Methodist
church starts, according to its co-pastor.

"We're not geographically centered ... but demographically focused," says
the Rev. Jack Jackson. "We're trying to reach the unchurched, urban,
post-modern community. We're the only United Methodist church in the country
that's doing what we're doing."

In 1999, Jackson spent three months studying new church starts and
post-modern ministry in denominations throughout the United States. The
study was funded by the Louisville Institute's Study Grants for Religious
Leaders Program. That study served as a basis for New Hope.

Jackson says during his study he saw other faith communities reaching into
urban areas, developing multicultural congregations or working with
post-modern generations, but none meeting the three challenges together.

The Rev. Mont Duncan, the Florida Annual (regional) Conference's director of
New Church Development and Church Redevelopment, says New Hope's demographic
focus is a new approach. "Usually we'll say we want a church to reach the
people in a particular area," Duncan says. "New Hope is working in the same
area as other churches, but reaching a different part of the population.
They're targeting post-moderns."

New Hope is on the "front edge" of new church starts, Duncan says. Based on
discussions among church development leaders from throughout the country and
across denominational lines, Duncan says he has seen churches mostly
focusing on reaching the baby boomers, people born between 1946 and 1964,
but very few trying to reach people born after 1964.

"The methods of reaching post-moderns are different than reaching baby
boomers," Duncan says. "This is definitely not a cookie-cutter approach.
It's important because the church needs to develop a method to reach this
generation."

Jackson likes the challenge of being on the cutting edge. "One reason I
wanted to be in a downtown church is urban centers are driving the culture,"
he says. "We come into contact with a lot of people who are disinterested in
... and hostile to the Christian faith. If we can find out what it means to
reach out to that community, ... gauge that mindset here, it will help us
meet the challenge of reaching people with a lot of cynicism and disdain for
the Christian faith."

The urban church also faces a lot more competition than the traditional
suburban church, according to Jackson. People look to churches to meet their
relational needs, he says. In the suburbs, churches have little competition
in creating a sense of community. In the inner city, community and service
organizations and organized age-level activities provide a sense of
community.

"Here, the church is one of many options," Jackson said. "The challenge for
us is not just to meet the relational needs, but the spiritual need."

That challenge helps determine how the church does evangelism. "Evangelism
becomes very personal and relational," he says. The church's regular mass
mailings and automated phone calls supplement the personal invitations
offered by church attendees and members, he adds.

The church's other ministries are geared to its audience. The worship is
"very interactive and engaging," Jackson says. "We don't use the word
'contemporary,' but it's in that vein."

The worship area has votive candles to appeal to people from a Roman
Catholic background. Communion is celebrated every Sunday.

"We also have the post-modern version of a stained glass window," he said.
"Stained glass was invented centuries ago to tell the story to illiterate
people. We have a story from the Bible on DVD repeating itself. Sometimes
it's the Scripture for the week. Sometimes it's something entirely
different. The purpose is to tell the story ... and to engage people in the
story through multiple senses."

The church is also focusing on small group and service ministries. The small
groups are using the Alpha Course. "It's an introduction to the Christian
faith that allows people to ask questions they've had," Jackson explains.
"It's straightforward and non-confrontational."

While New Hope is unique in some ways, Jackson says it has found companions
in its urban ministry. First United Methodist Church in Orlando has pledged
financial support and provided office space. Three other churches are also
starting new congregations in the area. One is worshipping in the same
middle school as New Hope but at a different hour.

"They help us, and we help them," Jackson says. "Those things confirm that
we're doing what God wants us to do. They affirm what God's doing in
downtown Orlando, the dreams God has for the city."

Having four new churches will help New Hope and other area churches grow,
according to Jackson. "All the data is clear," he says. "When there are more
new churches - more  churches - in an area, all the churches do better. All
of the United Methodist churches in the area could grow tenfold and not make
a dent in the unchurched population. ..."

New Hope was launched March 24, but Jackson and his co-pastor and wife, the
Rev.
Anna Jackson, have been developing financial and prayer support since last
summer. They plan to have the church's grand opening celebration this fall.

# # #

*Wacht is the assistant editor of the Florida Annual Conference's edition of
the United Methodist Review. This story originally appeared in that
publication.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org