From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC - Haitian churches pray for peace

From "Sheila Mesa" <smm@wcc-coe.org>
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 15:33:47 +0200

World Council of Churches
Update, Up-02-13
For Immediate Use

Haitian churches pray for peace

cf. WCC Press Release, PR-01-49, of 21 December 2001

On 6 May, World Council of Churches' (WCC) general secretary
Rev. Dr Konrad Raiser sent a letter to the churches and Christian
communities in Haiti, commending a joint appeal by the Roman
Catholic Church and the Protestant Federation of Haiti for a time
of prayer for peace, justice and integrity on 11 and 12 May.

In their 2 May appeal to Haiti's churches, the president of the
Episcopal Conference, Monsignor Hubert Constant, and Rev. Pauris
J. Baptiste, the interim president of the Protestant Federation,
called on all Christians to go to their church or cathedral on
Saturday or Sunday according to their tradition, dressed in
white, to pray and worship together.  "In issuing this appeal, we
are not only imploring God's blessing on our country, but also
expressing our desire for a profound change in our country's
situation, and our readiness to participate in bringing about
this transformation," the appeal states.

Marta Palma, executive secretary for Latin America and the
Caribbean desk in the WCC, has also invited WCC member churches
and councils of churches to join the Haitian Christian community
in prayer on 11 and 12 May.

The full text of the letter by Dr Raiser follows:

It was a great joy for me to receive the joint appeal of the
Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant Federation of Haiti,
calling for a time of worship and prayer for peace, justice and
integrity this coming 11 and 12 May.

This common action, in which all the people of Haiti are invited
to take part, is a strong sign of the determination of the
churches to promote a new awareness and a radical change in
Haitian society. An act of reverence before God, which gathers
together and involves as many church members as possible, is a
deeply Christian way of saying No to violence, injustice,
falsehood and corruption. By turning to God, the Christian
community can make a new start, drawing confidence and strength
from the One who said, "See, I am making all things new."

In the name of the World Council of Churches and its member
churches throughout the world, I offer you our support and our
solidarity. I assure you that we are in communion with you as
sisters and brothers. I would encourage all the churches, all
Christian communities and all faithful Christians in Haiti to
participate in this time of worship and prayer. I applaud your
initiative in calling on Christians to dress in white, as a sign
of their common commitment and so that your action may be
visible, in the unity of all.

In making this new start, you will be setting out on a long road
together. You will need perseverance. Know that you are not
alone. The people of Haiti have many friends. The churches of
Haiti are part of a network of love, kindness and solidarity. We
want to walk this road with you.

God bless you, and God bless the people of Haiti.

For further information, please contact Media Relations Office,
tel:  (+41.22) 791.61.53

**********
The World Council of Churches (WCC) is a fellowship of churches,
now 342, in more than 100 countries in all continents from
virtually all Christian traditions. The Roman Catholic Church is
not a member church but works cooperatively with the WCC. The
highest governing body is the assembly, which meets approximately
every seven years. The WCC was formally inaugurated in 1948 in
Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Its staff is headed by general
secretary Konrad Raiser from the Evangelical Church in Germany.

World Council of Churches
Media Relations Office
Tel: (41 22) 791 6153 / 791 6421
Fax: (41 22) 798 1346