From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Men in Mission Focuses on Three Emphases

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 8 May 2002 11:51:20 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 8, 2002

LUTHERAN MEN IN MISSION FOCUSES ON THREE EMPHASES
02-110-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutheran Men in Mission (LMM) will take aim at
three targets in the coming years.  The LMM board decided the men's
ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will
underscore its Bible program, men's health issues and getting young men
involved in the church.
     LMM's Bible program is "probably the most popular and effective
thing we've ever done," said Douglas Haugen, LMM director, ELCA Division
for Congregational Ministries.  In cooperation with Serendipity House
Publishers, LMM published the "Master Builders Bible for Men."
     The Master Builders Bible for Men includes about 20,000 questions
written into study notes "designed to help men build relationships
within their groups as well as to get to know God better," said Haugen.
     "The style of small-group Bible study that you have in the Master
Builders Bible is really non-defensive.  People are not going to be
there and be embarrassed because they don't have the right answer," said
Haugen.   "It's set up in a way that it opens doors to relationships,"
he said.
     Money from a donor made it possible for LMM to purchase its first
1,000 copies of the Master Builders Bible for Men and to give them away.
They went so quickly that LMM published another 5,000 Bibles, gave some
away and sold the others to cover the publishing costs, said Haugen.
The 5,000 went quickly too, so LMM published another 1,000 of that
edition.
     Now in its second edition, LMM published 15,000 copies of the
Master Builders Bible for Men.  This edition includes the "Men's
Ministry Action Plan" -- a 32-page section on how to develop men's
ministry -- one of LMM's most popular resources, Haugen said.
     "We have distributed more than 10,000 Bibles in one way or the
other, and we still have a supply left," said Haugen.  "Most of them are
out in congregations with men's groups, but some of them have gone into
places like detention centers and prisons" where LMM has placed them
free of charge, he said.
     "We find that, when we have events in our synods, or
congregations, or churchwide events, we probably sell one Bible for
every two men there," said Haugen.
     Another area of interest for LMM involves the whole church, said
Haugen.  In the United States, men between the ages of 18 and 30 are the
least likely to be in church, he said.  Young men leave the church and
tend not to return.
     "Lutheran Men in Mission has committed itself, over the next two
to three years, to focus on doing whatever it is we need to do in order
to open up relationships among men of all generations and reach men in
that age group for the church," said Haugen.
     "To do this ministry among young men, we will be developing a
number of partnerships," said Haugen.  "One of those partnerships will
probably be with the Youth and Family Institute at Augsburg College,"
Minneapolis.  Augsburg is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
ELCA.
     The Rev. Richard A. Hardel, executive director, Youth and Family
Institute, and the Rev. Roland D. Martinson, professor of pastoral care
and Carrie Olson Baalson professor of children, youth and family
ministry, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., developed several LMM
programs to help men relate across generations, said Haugen.
     Hardel and Martinson "have a good feel for where men's ministry is
and where it needs to go.  They've been valuable partners for years
already, and we are considering formalizing that relationship," he said.
     Men's health is a third area of interest for LMM.  "We find that
younger men are interested in wellness and prevention," said Haugen.
Older men have health concerns related to growing older, such as
prostate cancer and heart disease, he said.
     "We're going to be talking about these things and helping men to
address them," said Haugen.  Discussions have included holding health
fairs in conjunction with LMM events, he said.
     The three emphases will be topics during "Blueprints for Living,"
the LMM gathering that will bring hundreds of Lutheran men from across
the United States and Caribbean to San Antonio, Texas, July 26-28.
-- -- --
     Lutheran Men in Mission maintains information about all its
programs, resources and gatherings at http://www.elca.org/lmm/ on the
ELCA Web site.

For information contact: