From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Thompson to Retire from Regional Ministries Post

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 11:57:31 -0700

American Baptist News Service (5/9/02)--The Rev. Dr. Fred W. Thompson, who
has served as associate general secretary for Regional Ministries of
American Baptist Churches USA since 1995, has announced his intention to
retire as of Jan. 3, 2003.

In his current responsibilities he has worked to resource the 34 regions of
American Baptist Churches USA, supporting them in their mission as an
essential link between local churches and the denomination.  Among his
responsibilities are serving as staff to the Region Executive Ministers
Council, the General Executive Council and American Baptist area ministers.
He assists region executive minister search committees and works with the
evaluation process for executive ministers.  He also staffs the
denomination's Credentials and Caucus Committee.

Thompson long has been active in local, regional and national arenas of
American Baptist life.

He was executive minister of the American Baptist Churches of the Central
Region (which includes Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas) from 1982 to 1995.
Prior to that he was associate executive minister of that region for five
years and also served as Southeast area minister there.

Previously he was pastor of the South Broadway Baptist Church in Pittsburg,
Kans., campus minister for the American Baptist Campus Ministry at Pittsburg
State University and pastor of First Baptist Church of Oxford, Kans.  He
served six years (two as president) on the USD 503 school board in Parsons,
Kans.

Thompson holds the B.A and D.D. degrees from Ottawa University, the B.D. and
Th.M. degrees from Central Baptist Theological Seminary and the D.Min.
degree from McCormick Seminary.  Ottawa University recognized his leadership
in 1979 with the Distinguished Service award and Central Seminary recognized
him as Alumnus of the Year in 1993.  He has been president of the alumni
associations of both Ottawa University and Central Seminary and has served
on their boards.

"No one I know of exemplifies a stronger integration of personal faith in
Christ and commitment to the great principles of American Baptist life than
Fred Thompson," said American Baptist Churches USA General Secretary A. Roy
Medley.   "He has been a guiding light and our 'conscience' in so many
important discussions and considerations of our corporate witness as
American Baptists.  We certainly will miss his tenacious yet always
compassionate spirit, but his steadfast love for Christ and His church will
continue to inspire us.  We wish Fred and Lois God's every blessing as they
approach retirement."

02ABN58

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (610)768-2077; fax:
(610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org; richard.schramm@abc-usa.org