From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Carey celebrates anniversary of ECUSA's youngest seminary

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 15:05:39 -0400 (EDT)

May 10, 2002

2002-117

Episcopalians: Carey celebrates anniversary of ECUSA's
youngest seminary

by Ronda Carman

(ENS) On a sunny, cool September morning in 1976, on the campus
of Robert Morris College in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, a small
group of Episcopalians celebrated the birth of a seminary for
leaders of the evangelical renewal movement within the Episcopal
Church. No bishops appeared, as one participant noted
wryly--except for the seminary's founder, retired Australian
missionary bishop Alfred Stanway. But the speakers expressed
great optimism for the future. The Rev. Peter Moore, then
chairman of the board, assured the audience that if the new
school spoke "God's truth with love," the church and the world
would listen to Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry (TESM).

On May 3, 2002, at the request of Bishop Robert Duncan of
Pittsburgh, George Leonard Carey, archbishop of Canterbury, came
to Ambridge, Pennsylvania, to celebrate the school's 25th
anniversary. It was the first time in the history of the Diocese
of Pittsburgh that an archbishop of Canterbury had come to
Western Pennsylvania.

Trinity, a seminary that began with 17 students, has grown
steadily to approximately 175 full and part-time students, a
full-time faculty of 12, and over three dozen adjunct
professors--including experienced missionaries, youth ministry
leaders, a historian of Christian art and a noted renewal music
leader. As of fall 2001, over 350 ordained graduates served
parishes in 73 dioceses of the Episcopal Church and more than 20
overseas dioceses and missions.

Christian leadership

In a lecture to more than 300 seminarians, faculty, alumni,
friends and clergy, Carey spoke on five characteristics of
Christian leadership, drawn from his study of Paul's first
letter to the Corinthians. "It is clear from his [Paul's]
correspondence with that difficult and exasperating' church
that it was in many ways a body of believers not unlike us
today," Carey commented.

First, he said, Christian leaders are called to embrace a
"magnificent cause." The Christian, as described by Carey, is
one who is able to show the way because he or she has first met
someone who is the way--the Lord himself. "I am delighted that
just two weeks ago at Canterbury, the primates of the Anglican
Communion said in a statement on the doctrine of God: We
believe that God the eternal Son became human for our sake, and
that in the flesh and blood of Jesus of Nazareth God was
uniquely present and active.' The statement is a full-blood
recommitment to the historic faith of the Church. It is the
start of all discipleship and the heartbeat of leadership," he
said.

Second, he said, Christian leaders are driven men and women.
"Now be warned!" Carey stated. "I am not using driven' in the
pejorative sense of one whose behavior is compulsive or manic.
The word passion' comes closest to what I mean," he added.
Carey reminded the audience that no seminary can instill in
people love, affection and a desire to promote the way of
Christ. However, he pointed out, "a [seminary] can certainly
influence and shape the successes or failures by making it a
place of faith, hope and love."

The third characteristic of Christian leadership, and one
that drew the most applause, was holiness. Christian leaders are
to be "unashamedly holy men and women," Carey announced.
Although holiness is not limited to sexual morality, that is
where the church feels the conflict now, he said. The Bible
teaches that "intimate sexual acts should be expressed in the
committed relationship of husband and wife. All other forms of
sexual behavior are deviations from that norm.

No slamming doors

"I have made clear firmly, but I hope charitably, that this
is my approach to homosexual relationships. I also see it as the
right moral setting for considering heterosexual relationships,
where there can be a profound impact on the essential stability
of family life and the environment for children," he said.

But being clear about what is right and wrong does not mean
slamming the door on those who are not ready to accept church
teachings, Carey added. "If I as an individual or the church as
a body is compelled to say 'no' to some practices, we can still
establish strong links of understanding, friendship and care for
those whose lifestyles are different from ours," he said.

Next, Christian leaders are eager to include all people.
Leaders must be a "disciple" of the one who suffered death on
the cross for all humanity and will embrace others and include
them in whatever way possible. "I find in St. Paul enormous
insight to the human condition. Of course, the epistle to the
Romans is, par excellence,' the place where we must go to find
the sublime depths of Pauline teaching," Carey stated.

The fifth and final characteristic Carey called "visionary
leadership." Such leadership, he said, is not a grandiose and
larger-than-life "caricature of leadership" but rather one which
sees "new possibilities and dares to reach forward for new
possibilities."

Ending division

Those attending the celebration included some who have left the
Episcopal Church because of concerns about perceived theological
liberalism, including former Trinity dean John Rodgers, now a
bishop of the Province of Southeast Asia associated with the
Anglican Mission in America (AMiA). In an interview, Carey said
he has great respect for Rodgers and sympathized with his
motives and those of others like him, but urged conservative
Episcopalians not to consecrate any more irregular bishops.

"I value what they are doing. I know it comes out of a
sincere desire for the love of God and sometimes out of deep
depression because they think the mainstream church has left the
truth of God behind," Carey said. "I value them as fellow
Christians and I just want to find ways in which we can bring
them back into the mainstream of the church again. It isn't
going to be easy. Every time a small group splits off it weakens
the church as a whole, but I believe that these groups can find
ways to work within the regular structures of the Episcopal
Church," he declared.

Looking ahead

Carey publicly stated that he feels certain this is the right
and proper time to stand down as archbishop, and looks forward
to exciting opportunities and challenges in the coming months
and years. So why is now the right time? "There is good reason
for my retirement," Carey affirmed. "The next Lambeth Conference
is in 2008. By leaving now, I am giving my successor five years
to prepare. If I retired in 2005, I would have only given my
successor three years to prepare and it is not fair," Carey
added.

And what is it that lies ahead for the archbishop and Mrs.
Carey? "I can spend more time with Eileen, who has sacrificed so
much for my ministry. Together we can spend time with our large,
happy family, and sweep up our grandchildren and take them away
to Disneyland or somewhere nice like that," he answered.

------

--Ronda Carman is director of communications for the Diocese of
Pittsburgh.