From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwans Second National Prayer Breakfast On Track

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 15:01:44 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2619  May 12, 2002
Reported by Li Yi-shin,  Written by David Alexander

    The preparatory committee for the Second National Prayer
Breakfast has been busy getting ready for the May 18th event.  On
April 30th the committee held a day of fasting and prayer during
which Sunday May 5th was set aside as a special day for churches
to pray for the main event.
    This year's event will take its main theme from I Timothy
2:1-4, and offer prayers for the people, government, president,
nation and world peace.  The Lord will be asked to lead the
nation and its government so that heavenly justice, peace,
compassion will be common, and that the nation itself become a
land of faith, hope and love.  Churches and citizens are asked to
lift up these matters in prayer before and after the 18th.
    The Rev. Mr. Chou Sin-cho, pastor of Taipei's Bread of Life
Church, invites all churches to show true concern for the society
and nation.  He says, "A Christian has a responsibility to pray
for the spiritual atmosphere of a nation and society.  This is a
prayer for church renewal and unity."  "Our nation," he said,
"needs prayer for a spirit of unity.  This matter is crucial for
out time.  We need to make the crucial choice to be reconciled
with God.  This begins from our families and works through our
churches and outwards to our society.  Ethnic groups and
political parties can then experience the unity of being 'one in
the Lord.'  With God at the center of our society, we come to the
place where we can say, 'your people will be my people, and your
God will be my God.'  In this way the message of God's love can
spread through all the earth."
    The Rev. Tsai Ling-min, general secretary of the Taiwan
Baptist Alliance, said, "The Baptist Church sees the necessity of
the Prayer Breakfast.  This was helped a great deal by the Day of
Prayer on May 5th.  Both days are good for us to pray for the
nation, but this is really a matter which every Christian should
pray about every day."
    This year the Korean delegates who helped get the movement
under way in 2001 will return.  Members of parliament from
Canada, Germany and Japan will also be present.  Taiwan's own
President Chen Shui-bian, himself not a Christian, will also
address the meeting.

For more information:  Gospel@mail.pct.org.tw

Taiwan Church News is published Weekly in Chinese
Visit our Web Site: www.pctpress.com.tw