From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cincinnati presbytery refers dispute to commission

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 15 May 2002 16:26:01 -0400

Note #7161 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

15-May-2002
02178

Cincinnati presbytery refers dispute to commission

Neither side can claim victory in scrap over constitution, gay ordination

by John Filiatreau

CINCINNATI, OH - After a brief, prayerful debate, Cincinnati Presbytery voted during a May 15 meeting to name an administrative commission to decide what to do about a high-profile constitutional clash between two congregations.

Madeira-Silverwood Presbyterian Church had asked that Mount Auburn Presbyterian Church be ordered to rescind within 30 days its "declaration of intent to disregard" a provision of the constitution of the Presbyterian Church (USA) - or be expelled for having "renounced the jurisdiction" of the denomination.

Mount Auburn had proposed the naming of a "special committee" to examine its ministry, explore "possible creative resolutions" of the conflict, give the presbytery "time for a period of discernment," and produce a report in January 2003.

The dispute arose earlier this year after Mount Auburn's session declared that it would not abide by a provision of the Book of Order - G6.0106b - that says a church officer must be either faithful in a marriage between a man and a woman, or chaste in singleness.

Mount Auburn, a member congregation of More Light Presbyterians, has been in the forefront of the drive for full inclusion of gay and lesbian Presbyterians in the life of the church and in its ordained leadership.

Mount Auburn's session issued its statement of defiance shortly after the PC(USA)'s 173 presbyteries, by a margin of nearly 3 to 1, rejected an amendment that would have removed G6.0106b from the constitution.

After listening to advocates for both of the "dueling overtures," the presbytery's ministers and elders, meeting at Madeira-Silverwood, voted 124-77 to accept a recommendation from the presbytery council that both measures be referred to an "administrative commission."

The members of the commission will be appointed and its duties will be outlined during the July meeting of the presbytery, which represents 83 churches and about 22,000 adult members in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

While the debate was in progress, a number of volunteers in prayer shawls asked God to bless the participants and insure an outcome in keeping with the divine will.

The meeting attracted about 180 visitors, 150 more than usual.

Although the participants were orderly, even cordial, two police officers from the quiet suburb of Madeira were circulating in the parking lot.
They said their assignment was to "be visible." A presbytery official said they were there because they "don't have a whole lot to do."

At the outset, it was announced that the sessions of seven other Cincinnati-area PC(USA) congregations - Crestview Presbyterian, of Westchester, OH; First, of Harrison, OH; and College Hill, Covenant First, North, Springdale and Northminster, all of Cincinnati - had endorsed the overture put forward by Madeira-Silverwood.

The Rev. Tom Sweets, Madeira-Silverwood's pastor, argued against the council's proposal to name an investigating commission, the motion before the presbytery.

Claiming that the eight churches that endorsed Madeira-Silverwood's action represent "nearly one-quarter of the members of Cincinnati Presbytery," Sweets recounted the history of presbytery efforts to deal with Mount Auburn's "ecclesiastical disobedience" since it was first declared "irregular" - "That means illegal," Sweets contended - in 1992.

Citing a decision from the stated clerk of the PC(USA), the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, that the Mount Auburn session "lacks constitutional authority to disregard any mandatory provision of the Book of Order," Sweets called the case against Mount Auburn "open and shut," arguing that its session's overt defiance of the constitution has "dishonored the presbytery and the denomination."

"We do not need to put off our decision or take time for more study," he argued, asking, "How many more years, after 10 years, do we need?"

Sweets said action must be taken against Mount Auburn "to preserve our constitution and to preserve our very Presbyterian church."

The clerk of Mount Auburn's session, Julia Arosteguy, noted that the church has been part of the presbytery for 140 years. "Mount Auburn loves the Presbyterian Church," she said, "and wants to stay here for another 140 years."

Arosteguy said she understands that many in the presbytery "are probably very tired of this discussion" and may "wonder why Mount Auburn cannot straighten out - no pun intended - and fly right," but pointed out that the Book of Order provides for "freedom of conscience with respect to the interpretation of Scripture" and endorses "the full expression of the rich diversity" of PC(USA) membership.

Mount Auburn's pastor, the Rev. StevenVan Kuiken, said, "We see this action (defying G6.0106b) not so much as disobedience to the church, but rather as obedience to Jesus Christ. ... We believe we are being good Presbyterians."

Van Kuiken said his church is "filled with so many beautiful and gentle souls" who "are very active in the life of this presbytery and this denomination ... gladly pay our per-capita ... contribute to the mission of this presbytery and this church ... (and) for a long time have been able to live in peace and harmony and civility in this presbytery."

He said the dispute "deserves at least a fair and honest discernment process, and not a rush to judgment."

After the vote, Mount Auburn issued a statement in which it said: "We are confident that this administrative commission will conclude that Mount Auburn is a faithful, loving and valuable part of this presbytery and denomination. ... We will continue our ministry and exclude no one from full membership because of their sexual orientation."

General Presbyter Sam Roberson said he was pleased with "how the presbytery responded" to the conflict, adding that he thinks the outcome showed that "80 percent of the people in the room" weren't comfortable with either congregation's overture.

Roberson said that Mount Auburn representatives, who in the past have "tended to speak at the presbytery in ways that have been challenging, and sometimes strident," in this case "showed what they care about  modeled who we are as Presbyterians, and let the presbytery see their vulnerable side."

He also pointed out that participants in the meeting were "calm and rational" and "without rancor," and that there was "no shouting, no tears, no inappropriate outbursts."

He said he "certainly did notice" that seven congregations - "all of them important parts of this presbytery" - endorsed the Madeira-Silverwood overture.

"I have to do my math," he said. "I certainly will be making pastoral visits to all those congregations."