From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Vatican's Cardinal Kasper says ecumenical movement is in 'crisis'

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 13:15:33 -0400

May 21, 2002

2002-127

Episcopalians: Vatican's Cardinal Kasper says ecumenical
movement is in 'crisis'

by C. Christopher Epting

(ENS) In his address to the National Workshop on Christian Unity
meeting in Cleveland, Ohio, Cardinal Walter Kasper of the
Vatican's Pontifical Council on Christian Unity opened his
address May 21 by stating that the ecumenical movement is in
"crisis" as we enter the 21st century.  This crisis should be
understood in its original sense as an opportunity having both
positive and negative possibilities, being "on the knife edge,"
he said.

Kasper said that positive signs include the signing of the
Joint Declaration on Justification between the Roman Catholics
and Lutherans, ecumenical events of the Jubilee Year, the fact
that the 20th century has been one of martyrdom in all the
churches (and the blood of the martyrs is, after all, the seed
of the church),  Pope John Paul II's extensive travels on behalf
of church unity, and the prayer for world peace in Assisi
occurring for the second time last January.

The papal encyclical "Ut unum sint" points out at the very
least that churches and ecclesial communities are no longer
enemies but friends, Kasper argued.  Dialogue between the Roman
Catholic Church and the Orthodox has shown signs of promise, yet
today there are disagreements and even accusations of
proselytism which hamper results.   He said that conversations
between Roman Catholics and evangelicals have revealed that
while these two groups of Christians are far apart
ecclesiologically,  they often share much in their
understandings of the authority of Scripture and certain ethical
issues.

Solid ecumenical education

Developments which can impede the ecumenical movement in this
new situation include the fact that thirty five years have
passed since Vatican II and sixty-five years have passed since
the development of the World Council of Churches.  Many younger
theologians and pastors take ecumenism and ecumenical progress
for granted and, for them, many of the theological barriers are
really no longer impediments.  In this context, it is important
that solid ecumenical education take place so that we do not
forget our history.

Secondly, there is a new emphasis on "identity."  A great
question for many today is, "who am I?"   This finds its
expression ecclesiastically in Orthodox churches  regaining a
sense of their own identity, post Communism.  And we see it also
in certain German Lutheran opposition to the Joint Declaration
on Justification.  It is important, in this context, to assert
that ecumenism today does not mean a loss of identity, but a
certain unity in diversity, Kasper said.  Next, it is true today
that all ecumenism cannot be done internationally and from a
centralized location.  Local churches must take up their
responsibilities in the ecumenical dialogue.

Transitional period

Kasper believes that we must live for now in the midst of
this present transitional situation, a time of real but
imperfect communion.  He spoke of this very word "communion" as
the new ecumenical vision.  Nonetheless, churches and ecclesial
communities can mean somewhat different things by this concept.
Certainly, it refers to a kind of trinitarian unity in diversity
and diversity in unity.  But some emphasize a somewhat "secular"
use of the term, meaning a horizontal set of relationships while
others  want to hold that in tension with the vertical
dimension, since "koinonia" does not merely mean "communion" but
"participation." (i.e. koinonia with the Father).  The
sacraments express this "vertical" dimension.

Reformation churches have emphasized the local congregation
as being the essence of the church, but even in these
expressions often a wider supervisory role and understanding of
episcope has developed, according to Kasper. Roman Catholics
believe that the "local church" (the people in communion with
their bishop) is the fulness of the church but that such
churches cannot be isolated but must  be in communion with all
other bishops and local churches. The one church and the
diversity of local churches exist at one and the same time, he
noted.

At the present time there seems to be no real consensus from
churches and ecclesial communities in response to the Pope's
call for dialogue about the eventual nature of a renewed
Petrine primacy which could be shared by all, according to
Kasper. Most churches want "communion with Peter, but not
communion under Peter," he said.  So, we are in this
transitional period, an "already but not yet time" of ecumenism.
 There is no perfect church and we can all learn from one
another.  The goal is not uniformity but to transform
"contradictory" elements into "complementary" ones.

Next steps for this new age

"Real but imperfect communion" must manifest itself in "real"
life, said Kasper, suggesting six "next steps" for this new age.

1. We must share best practices; we can already share
together much more than we presently do and we should get on
with that.

2. Ecumenical work can still be done together through conciliar
bodies, national and world councils of churches.

3. We can continue our present dialogues seeking the nature and
purpose of the church.

4. The "ministry question" remains central.  For Roman
Catholics, episcopacy is central but much can be learned from
Orthodoxy and the Reformation churches about "synodality" and
the bishop in council.

5. There must be intra as well as inter renewal.  Renewal and
reform must take place in all our churches individually as well
as together.

6. And finally, we must remember that ecumenism is a gift of the
Holy Spirit.  "Spiritual ecumenism" such as that we often find
in and through monastic communities must  be emphasized.

Cardinal Kasper concluded by reminding his audience that
"patience is the little sister of Christian hope."  He believes
that one day unity will come as God's gift and as unexpectedly
as the fall of the Berlin wall which surprised so many.  Until
then, the ecumenical journey remains a joint pilgrimage toward
that catholicity which Christ wills for his church.

------

--Bishop C. Christopher Epting is deputy for Ecumenical and
Interfaith Relations.