From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopal youth deal with 'hot issues' at summer meeting

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 13:13:53 -0400

May 21, 2002

2002-126

Episcopalians: Episcopal youth deal with 'hot issues' at
summer meeting

by Episcopal Life staff

(Episcopal Life) The campus at the University of Wyoming will be
transformed for six days in July when 1,400 youth of high school
age congregate for the triennial Episcopal Youth Event (EYE).
Young people from each of the church's nine provinces, who have
worked with adult leaders in planning the event, say it will be
a celebration that will inspire in youth a deeper faith in
Christ and new commitment to mission and ministry.

"The design team is committed, following the tragedies of
September 11, to make this event focus on issues affecting youth
today and offer a faith-based, hopeful response to the world in
which teenagers live," said Brad Woodall, a student in
Springfield, Missouri, who is chair of the communications
committee for the event.

Organizers say the event beginning July 23 includes worship
with a dynamic group of 12 musicians and singers, a cultural
carnival with food, contests and souvenirs to exchange with
others, games, recreation, workshops, discussions on "hot
issues" and an opportunity to experience the high plains of the
western U.S. The event's theme, "Bring it to the high plains!
Tell the people who I am," based on 1 Timothy 4:11-16, is
appropriate for the Laramie, Wyoming, campus situated 8,000 feet
above sea level.

At the design team's last meeting in Orlando, Florida, in
January, some youth talked about the effect of the terrorist
attacks on September 11 on their lives and on this summer's
event. "This is a chance for us to make a statement that
something like that isn't going to affect our lives," said Joe
Wallace of New Orleans. "My hope for EYE is that it will be an
environment for fun and spirituality."

"I'm hoping that EYE will truly unite the church's youth,"
said Paul Canady of Ellicott City, Maryland, the adult
representative from Province 4. "Then the Episcopal Church as a
whole will grow and be strengthened." Skye Lund of Kadoka, South
Dakota, added, "I hope that EYE brings youth closer to God and
each other. I hope to bring music to EYE as an expression of our
faith."

Each diocese has been allocated accommodation for 12 youth
and three adult sponsors, but dioceses that recruit a diverse
group of young people can register additional participants.
Registration cost is $275, including room, meals and ground
transportation.

More information on EYE is available at:
www.episcopalchurch.org/myp/EYE. Daily postings will be made on
the Web site during the youth event, July 23-28.

------