From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan & Thailand Churches Join Forces

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 21:03:01 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2611, March 17th, 2002
Reported by Lin Yi-ying, Written by David Alexander

    The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) and the Church of
Christ in Thailand (CCT) have concluded a formal agreement of
mission partnership.  Formal signing is scheduled for April 4th,
during the PCT's 48th General Assembly meeting.  The CCT has been
cooperating with the PCT in mission to overseas
Thai laborers in Taiwan, and the PCT with the CCT in mission to
the Akan people of Northern Thailand.
    PCT Associate General Secretary Susan Chuang says, "Since 1994
there has been increasing contact between our two churches. This
began when the Taiwan economy looked outside for laborers and
imported many from Thailand.  Concern for their welfare brought a
missionary from the CCT to work initially in Taipei County in
1998.  She moved to the PCT's Labour
Concern Centre in Kaohsiung City in 2000 and continues to serve
there."
    General Assembly secretary for Church and Society issues,
Daniel Cheng, added "This more formal relationship will make it
easier for our churches to cooperate in study exchange and
mission service, including work already undertaken by Taiwan
missionaries among the Akan people of Thailand. As
our churches' connections became closer, this naturally led to
the agreement that we will sign in a couple of weeks."
    The Rev. Lin Tzeng-kun, chief of chaplains at MacKay Memorial
Hospital (which funds the work among the Akan) said that the
agreement will be beneficial to that work.  "Following in the
footsteps of the early missionaries, such as those that founded
our own church, is helped when there are church structures."

For more information:  Susan@mail.pct.org.tw
                        Enggi@mail.pct.org.tw
                        Mmhcler@ms2.mmh.org.tw

The Taiwan Church News is published weekly in
Chinese.  Visit our web site, www.pctpress.com.tw