From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Our Faith Compels Us to Restore Taiwan's True Name

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 20:22:42 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2620, May 19, 2002
Reported by Lin Yi-ying, Translated and Rewritten by David
Alexander

    On May 11th thousands of demonstrators marched in Taipei to
call for this nation to use the name "Taiwan" as its official
designation, and to jettison "The Republic of China."  The
Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) was represented by 1,500
members and clergy who paraded as a unified group.
    The Rev. Lim Chong-cheng, head of the Church and Society
Committee, pointed to the Presbyterians' 1985 Confession of Faith
as the basis for the strong participation.  That confession has
language saying that the church should identify with all the
people of the land, and though love and suffering become a sign
of hope.
    Presidential advisor Dr. C. M. Kao said, "Taiwan has received
outside political pressure for 400 years.  Our president, Chen
Shui-bian, should to stand up boldly and proclaim 'Taiwan is
Taiwan and China is China.'  Speaking the truth is a basic
principle of human interaction."
    The Rev. William J.K. Lo, Presbyterian General Secretary and
president of the National Council of Churches of Taiwan, added,
"the name 'Taiwan' must become the name of our nation because
internationally the term 'Republic of China' has been eclipsed.
It is the name of a group of outsiders who came here to control
the people of Taiwan in a way similar to Japan's colonial
takeover 50 years before that.  In the 21st century, the use of
'Taiwan' to designate this nation is admission of a universal
truth. God has given this land to the people who live here.  All
churches in Taiwan should ardently pray that our nation will soon
go by its true name."

For More Information:  Lim Chong-cheng  FAX +886 6 2687485
                     C. M. Kao  FAX +886 3 521 7194
                     William J. K. Lo   wmlo@mail.pct.org.tw

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw