From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Leaders Urge Increased Refugee Resettlement

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 20:18:09 -0700

American Baptist News Service (5/23/02)--American Baptist Churches USA
General Secretary A. Roy Medley and 13 other prominent U.S. religious
leaders have urged President Bush to assure that tens of thousands of
refugees will be allowed to resettle in the U.S. this year.

The leaders, in a letter sent May 21, noted that only 11,000 of the 70,000
refugees the president has committed to welcoming in 2002 have arrived in
this country.

The letter, in part, states:

"As leaders of various faith traditions, we collectively rejoice that our
nation has historically welcomed to our shores newcomers from many lands....
On Nov. 21 [2001] you reaffirmed our nation's tradition of welcoming
refugees by committing the United States to admitting 70,000 refugees in
this year. Six months later we find that only about 11,000 refugees have
arrived in the United States.  We are deeply concerned that unless strong
measures are immediately invoked, thousands of desperate refugees will be
forced to languish in the misery that is the plight of most of the world's
15 million refugees....

"In a world where so much human suffering exists and where thousands of
innocent persons are so violently uprooted, we feel that our country must be
especially generous in assisting victims of terror whose only hope for
rebuilding their lives is resettlement in the United States.  To do
otherwise is to condemn thousands to prolonged suffering and possibly death.
As rescuing victims of persecution is so fundamental to the faith traditions
that we embrace, so must it be for our nation if its moral leadership is to
be upheld.

"We understand that the events surrounding the tragedy of Sept. 11 have
resulted in enhanced security measures to protect us from further
assaults....  However, we believe that our national resolve to combat
terrorism need not unduly block the opportunities for safety and survival
that the U.S. refugee program offers....  To sacrifice this moral high
ground is to submit to those forces that do not honor our spiritual and
moral values nor the values of the nation that has allowed all of our faith
communities to live together in harmony and peace.

"All of our traditions have extended hospitality to the stranger, and many
within our communities have been the recipients of this hospitality.  We
know both the experience of the victim and the joy that comes from relieving
the victim's suffering.  We also bear witness to the enriched fabric of our
communities made possible by the gifts of grateful newcomers.  We,
therefore, ask that you assign the highest priority to ensuring the
admission of 70,000 refugees this year so that this noblest of our
traditions is not compromised."

Since the end of World War II American Baptist Churches USA has consistently
been a leader in refugee sponsorship among the denominations working with
Church World Service.  As of April 30, 2002, American Baptists have
sponsored 88,443 from more than 50 countries.  For more information on this
ministry of hope contact National Ministries' Direct Human Services office
at 1-800-ABC-3USA/x 2450 or visit
http://www.nationalministries.org/mission/dhs/refugees.cfm.

02ABN75

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (610)768-2077; fax:
(610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org; richard.schramm@abc-usa.org