From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS: Anglican Diocese of Tasmania appoints Safe Ministry director

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 17:58:02 -0700

ACNS 2986 - TASMANIA - 23 May 2002

New Safe Ministry Development worker appointed in the Anglican church

[Anglican Media] The Anglican Diocese of Tasmania has appointed Reverend
Eleanor O'Donnell to oversee the church's Safe Ministry with Children and
Young People programme.

The Safe Ministry programme was initiated by the church in 1999 to promote a
safe environment for children and young people participating in church
groups and activities. The implementation of the program was one of the key
recommendations of the 1998 report into issues of abuse within the church.

The Bishop of Tasmania, the Right Reverend John Harrower, sees the
appointment of Reverend O'Donnell as an important step for the church. "I am
very concerned that all the children entrusted to our church leaders and
volunteers are able to grow in their faith and enjoy church activities
within a safe environment. I want parents to be confident that our
volunteers have been properly accredited and trained, and for the leaders
themselves to feel well equipped for their important role."

Over the past 2 years, the Safe Ministry program has been implemented by Mrs
Helen Phillips, the church's Children's and Families Worker. She has
co-ordinated training seminars around the state. Individual parishes have so
far accredited 145 volunteers working with children and young people through
a thorough process, including application forms, police checks, referee
checks, interviews with an accreditation panel, and a state register of
accredited volunteers. Mrs Phillips will work in close partnership with
Reverend O'Donnell, as she takes up this new appointment.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org. Any
comments about the content of the article should be directed to the author.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message, as any replies are discarded
automatically.