From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS: Report on Cloning has Marriage, Family Base

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 18:26:15 -0700

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 28
May 20, 2002

Report on cloning has marriage, family base

By David L. Mahsman

A new report on human cloning gained approval last month from The Lutheran
Church--Missouri Synod's Commission on Theology and Church Relations (CTCR).

The report, "What Child Is This? Marriage, Family and Human Cloning," was
adopted without dissenting vote during the commission's April 18-20 meeting
in St. Louis.

Dr. Samuel H. Nafzger, the CTCR's executive director, said he hopes the
report will be edited, printed and ready for distribution to all LCMS
congregations and rostered church workers by mid-summer.  It also will be
placed then on the commission's Web site, http://www.lcms.org/ctcr.

As the title suggests, the report considers cloning within the context of a
discussion of marriage and family.

"The aim of this report is to make a contribution to the ability of
Christians to discern when to celebrate emerging gifts and when to witness
against looming evils," says the report's "Introduction."

Nafzger said that the "guiding principle" for the report is found in the
concluding affirmations of the CTCR's 1981 report on human sexuality.  That
report says, "We honor God and the neighbor rightly when we ... affirm that
this union of mutual love [between husband and wife] is the only proper
context for human procreation."

At the same time, Nafzger said, the new report "goes into some length
saying that a child from cloning would be a human being, a creation of
God.  We distinguish the process from what a child is."

Says the report, "One person may have been born into a fine family of
Christians, while someone else may have been born into a fine family of
nonChristians.  Others may have been born in non-family circumstances, or
be the product of artificial insemination or some other reproductive
technology.  In future years humans born from a process of cloning may walk
among us.  However, the most important thing is this: No matter how a
person's life begins, anyone -- even though they are born in the flesh --
can become a child of God through the rebirth of Holy Baptism.

"This means that we cannot determine the pluses and minuses of various ways
and means of producing humans by thinking that some people either are more,
or they are less, human because of their origins," the report
continues.  "Whatever we discover about the wisdom or `unwisdom' of various
ways of procreation, we will have recognized these twin truths: 1. `there
is no distinction; since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
God,' and 2. all `are justified by his grace as a gift, through the
redemption which is in Christ Jesus' (Rom. 3:23-24)."

The new report was developed as a result of an assignment from the 1998
Synod convention, which asked the CTCR for a study "to help the church, on
the basis of the Word of God, make informed ethical judgments concerning
cloning and attendant issues."  Some of those "attendant issues," including
those related to stem-cell research, will be considered in ongoing CTCR
study, Nafzger said.

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your e-mail address for LCMSNews,
go to the following Web address: