From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists in East Africa Calls for Spiritual Renewal

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date Sat, 25 May 2002 04:10:52 -0400

May 24, 2002
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Leader in East Africa Calls for Spiritual
Renewal

Eldoret, Kenya - Spiritual commitment, not statistics, is
the true measure of the strength of a church, according
to Pastor Pardon Mwansa, president of the Seventh-day
Adventist Church in Eastern Africa. Speaking to more
than 600 church leaders in Eldoret, Kenya, Mwansa
urged administrators and pastors to take up the
challenge of helping church members grow spiritually.

With 700,000 church members, the East Africa Union, or
administrative district, is the largest single union of the
Adventist world church. Mwansa noted that while the
East Africa Union has had the highest rate of baptisms
within the region over the past several years, it has also
had the highest rate of those leaving the church.

"Many of our members love the message of the church,
but are not committed to it in their practical
day-to-day living," said Mwansa. "It is our responsibility
as leaders of the church in this territory to make our
members come to the place where we are committed."

"Success will not come primarily because of our
experience, or our preparations, or our strength as a
union," he added, "but rather as we make God our
hope."

Mwansa made his comments during his keynote address
at a seven-day gathering of East African church
leaders and pastors March 24 to 31. Delegates met on
the campus of the Adventist University of Eastern
Africa, Barton, for a leadership training conference and
for the launch of the region's "five focus
issues"--spirituality, soul winning, unity, leadership, and
self-reliance.

The East Africa Union includes the countries of Kenya
and Somalia, where 700,000 Adventist believers
worship each week in some 8,000 churches and
companies. [Editor Maureen Aseno for ANN]

Reproduction Requirements:
Reproduction of information in this article is
encouraged. When reproducing this material, in full or in
part,  the words "Source: Adventist News Network"
must appear under the headline or immediately
following the article.