From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian Speaks at Taiwan Prayer Breakfast

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 13:14:44 -0700

With St. Francis as my Guide:  The President Speaks
Taiwan Church News 2621, May 26, 2002
Reported by Lin Yi-seng, Translated and Rewritten by David
Alexander

    Addressing 730 local and overseas participants at Taiwan's Second
National Prayer Breakfast on the morning of May 18th, President
Chen Shui-bian said that he follows the prayer of St. Francis of
Asissi, "Make me a channel of your peace, where there is hatred may I sow love,
where there is injury may I sow pardon."  He said that since he took
office as Taiwan's president two years ago he has not ceased to seek ways
of reconciliation between Taiwan and China, there there might be
understanding, cooperation and longterm peace.  He seeks to
ameliorate both sides' enmity and promote normal relationships across the
Taiwan
Straits.

It is his belief that when there is neither animostiy in our hearts nor
enemises in our vision, the hope of peace between governments and
peoples can increase our generosity and decrease our negative emotions.
His talk of reconciliation internationally moved him to domestic concerns,
where he called for a cross party conference of local political leaders
with the goal of making a beautiful environment here.

   President Chen thanked the organizers of the National Prayer
Breakfast for focusing the event on reconciliation.  He was deeply moved
and said that the need for harmony is especially apparent since September
11th of last year.  He said that reconciliation is not just needed for
Taiwan's people, it is needed for the people of the whole world, of every
language.  It will be the foundation of personal peace and of interpersonal
harmony.

    In closing he again thanked the organizers for their efforts
and said that their example of bringing people together, their love for
Taiwan, and their respect for each other would promote social harmony here.

For more information:  susan@mail.pct.org.tw

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw