From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: 'Philadelphia 11' pioneer Hiatt dies of cancer

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 15:50:52 -0400

May 30, 2002

2002-141

Episcopalians: 'Philadelphia 11' pioneer Hiatt dies of cancer

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) The Rev. Dr. Suzanne Radley Hiatt died Wednesday, May 30
after a long struggle with cancer. Sue, as she preferred to be
called, was widely acknowledged as the "architect" of the
"irregular ordination" of 11 women to the Episcopal priesthood
in July, 1974, on the Feast of St. Mary and Martha at the Church
of the Advocate in Philadelphia. Two years later, General
Convention officially approved the ordination of women and then
"regularized" the Philadelphia ordinations.

"Regardless of what your opinion of her actions is, it is often
through the untiring efforts of pioneers such as Sue Hiatt that
change is brought about," remarked the Rev. Jayne Oasin, social
justice officer at the Episcopal Church Center in New York.

A lifelong academic, Hiatt graduated with her B.A. from
Radcliffe in 1958 and received her M.Div. from the Episcopal
Theological School (ETS) in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1964.
Post-graduate work included a Master's of Social Work from
Boston University in 1965 and two honorary doctorates, an LL.D.
in 1998 from Regis College in Massachusetts and a D.D. in 1998
from the Episcopal Divinity School (EDS) in Cambridge, MA. For
the quality and depth of her work since graduation from
Radcliffe, she was made an honorary member of Phi Beta Kappa in
1984.

In 1974, Hiatt was ordained priest by Bishop Edward Wells in
Philadelphia as one of the first 11 women ordained in the
Episcopal Church. She began her professional career as an
academic at EDS in 1975 and became a full professor of pastoral
theology in 1981. In 1996, Hiatt became a member of the
Ecclesiastical Court in the Diocese of Massachusetts. She
retired in 1998 from EDS as emeritus professor of pastoral
theology and but kept an active schedule.

They called her 'the bishop'

Hiatt was referred to as "the bishop" among the "Philadelphia
11" for her organizational skills. In a column titled "In honor
of an unofficial bishop" (The Episcopal Times, June 2001),
Massachusetts bishop suffragan Barbara Harris paid homage to
Hiatt for her role in the groundbreaking ordinations.

"The guiding spirit and driving force of the 1974 Philadelphia
ordinations was the Rev. Suzanne Radley Hiatt," Harris wrote.
"Sue, who served as suburban missioner for the Diocese of
Pennsylvania, truly embodied the role of deacon. She worked
alongside of members of the Philadelphia Welfare Rights
Organization, bringing the church to the world, and in suburban
parishes, bringing the needs of the world to the church. She was
unequivocal, candid and forthright to all, never temporizing
with oppression or its reality. The Church of the Advocate was
her 'home parish' and we were proud to have her as the first of
five women from that congregation to be ordained," Harris wrote.

"Never elected or consecrated (though she should have been), Sue
has served as 'shepherd' and unofficial bishop to hundreds of
women theological students, aspirants, postulants, candidates,
deacons and priests over the years of her teaching and pastoral
ministry," Harris wrote. "She also was a role model for many
ordained men of the church. I well remember a service, again at
the Advocate, where male clergy, in order to 'complete,' as it
were, their own ordinations, came forward to receive the laying
on of hands by Sue, others ordained with her and members of the
'Washington Five,' who had been ordained the following year.

Pastor and mentor to a generation

At a Boston celebration of the 10th anniversary of the
consecration of Bishop Harris to the episcopate, Hiatt gave an
audit of how things stand for women. "I'm afraid that's kind of
a downer," she said, referring to bishops at Lambeth 1998 who
"tried to do some fairly retrogressive things about women
bishops...What is fairly appalling is that in all of the reports
we get about Lambeth it is hardly mentioned. No question that
the ordination of women has changed the face of ministry. It's
made a kinder, gentler church, and those of you who remember the
church of the old days would probably agree to that. But we
haven't come as far as we should. The real problems that women
are having in the world are much greater."

In a 2001 letter to Hiatt, Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold