From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Statement by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:59:46 -0700

ACNS 3003 - LAMBETH PALACE - 31 May 2002

Statement by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York

on the publication of 'Resourcing Archbishops' on Tuesday 28 May 2002

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, and the Archbishop of York,
Dr David Hope, said:

"We are immensely grateful to Professor Mellows and his colleagues for their
latest report 'Resourcing Archbishops.'

"They have produced, as we expected, a stimulating and challenging piece of
work that we shall wish to study with the care and attention it deserves. We
shall naturally wish to consult others and to invite views on the many
recommendations the report contains.

"For now we would simply like to acknowledge the many supportive things the
report has to say about our own work and about the staff who so loyally and
ably serve us and our ministries.

"Taken together, this report and its predecessor, 'Resourcing Bishops',
represent several years of intensive and painstaking work by Professor
Mellows and his colleagues, all of whom already have great demands on their
time and considerable talents. We do not take lightly the sacrifices they
have made in order to produce these substantial reports.

"In the life of a Church that is "episcopally led", the work of archbishops
and their brother bishops must be central. Professor Mellows and his
colleagues have helped to bring fresh perspectives to our understanding of
that reality and for that too we are immensely grateful."

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org. Any
comments about the content of the article should be directed to the author.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message, as any replies are discarded automatically.