From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Campbell Resigns Historical Society Post

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:10:05 -0400

American Baptist News Service (6/3/02)--Dr. Stuart W. Campbell has announced
his resignation as director and archivist for the American Baptist-Samuel
Colgate Historical Library in Rochester, N.Y.  He will begin July 1 as
associate professor and archives and records administrator at Chicago State
University.

As a staff member of the American Baptist Historical Society (ABHS) for the
past two years Campbell has held responsibilities for the operation of the
library, the largest and premier collection of Baptist materials in the
world.  Previously he was head of archival departments at Clark University
and Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center.

In announcing the resignation, ABHS President the Rev. Esther Irish said,
"We are very grateful for the time, effort, skill and relationship that
Stuart has given at the Rochester Archives, and that he is not leaving our
supporting family."

ABHS Executive Director Dr. Deborah B. Van Broekhoven noted, "Those who work
as staff or researchers at the American Baptist Historical Society will all
miss his quick wit, cooperative spirit, and wisdom about the professional
management of collections in both Valley Forge and Rochester.  Our Board of
Managers and staff will remain grateful for the professionalism and
enthusiasm for Baptist history that Stuart brought to his work with us.  The
great loss we all feel is lessened a bit by the knowledge that Dr. Campbell
will continue to be an enthusiastic supporter of the American Baptist
Historical Society, even as he begins his new responsibilities in the
Chicago area."

Van Broekhoven plans to begin immediately a national search for a new
director of ABHS in Rochester.  In the interim the library will be staffed
by full-time library assistant Nancy Blotstein.

02ABN83

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (610)768-2077; fax:
(610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org; richard.schramm@abc-usa.org