From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Faith and Values Media introduces 'New Morning'

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 6 Jun 2002 15:36:29 -0400

Note #7192 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06-June-2002
02208

Faith and Values Media introduces 'New Morning'

TV show designed to give viewers an 'inspirational start to their day'

by Jerry L. Van Marter

NEW YORK - "New Morning," a new morning television show its producers say is designed to "give viewers an inspirational start to their day while helping them better connect to faith experiences," debuted this week on the Hallmark Channel.

"In both tone and content, 'New Morning' is a unique entry in the morning line up," stated Edward J. Murray, president and CEO of Faith & Values Media, the producers of the show which first aired June 3 at 7 a.m.

"Given the changes in the world around us, we believe there is a place for programming that celebrates what is good in the world, and that helps viewers start the day in touch with God - something to enrich their faith, Murray said.  "'New Morning' is designed to leave viewers feeling uplifted, spiritually renewed, and in a positive frame of mind as they go about their daily lives."

The program is hosted by Timberly Whitfield, the daughter of United Methodist missionaries who was raised in Africa and earned a master's degree from Columbia University's school of broadcast journalism.

Regularly featured "New Morning" segments include:

* "Morning Almanac," which recounts people and events that mark this day in history;

* "Spiritual Journey," a profile of exceptional individuals whose lives have led them on journeys of profound spiritual awakening;

* "Questions of Faith," during which well?known authors and theologians will offer their perspective on that day's program theme;

* "Common Ground," portraits of ordinary people doing extraordinary things to build, heal, and reconcile relationships, communities, and society as a whole; and

* "Journal of My Journey," in which the show's producers give people a video camera to record their experiences as they move through one of life's defining passages - a college reunion, a wedding, or moving away from home for the first time.

"Through 'New Morning' we want to make a positive impact on people's lives every day," said Whitfield.  "Our goal is to help our viewers slow down and rediscover the simple truths that make life so full and vibrant.  We want to show them how they can make a difference in the world, while helping to strengthen their faith and their connection to God."

Faith & Values Media is a service of the National Interfaith Cable Coalition, Inc. (NICC), whose 31 members represent 70 faith groups with 200,000 congregations and 120 million members. It is the nation's largest coalition of Jewish and Christian faith groups dedicated to media production, distribution and promotion.  The Presbyterian Church (USA) is a charter member of NICC.