From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Australian Anglican synod initiative to prevent child poverty

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:01:26 -0700

and abuse

ACNS 3017 - AUSTRALIA - 10 June 2002

Anglican synod initiative to prevent child poverty and abuse

[Anglican Media Sydney] The Anglican Church on the North Coast plans a fresh
effort aimed at reducing child poverty and preventing child abuse.

At its annual Synod on May 25-26 it launched an audit of what more is needed
for children on the North Coast and what more can be done by the Anglican
Church.

The move follows meetings of all Australian Anglican bishops in Perth last
month. The bishops expressed profound sorrow at reports of children being
abused. They unanimously agreed to establish a range of measures designed to
prevent future child abuse in the Church, including the establishment of
stronger, clearer protocols on working with children. The North Coast
initiatives are aimed at further strengthening the preventative framework.

(Synod is often described as the "parliament" of the church. The two-day
conference was attended by more than 120 representatives from parishes,
schools, Anglicare and other bodies in the diocese.) "Synod was asked to
consider a number of important points involving children," Bishop Philip
said.

- Preventing child abuse: what is being done - what more can we do?

- Reducing child poverty: what is being done - what more can we do?

"Child abuse is certainly not limited to particular socio-economic areas.

"However, if a reduction in child poverty, via less stressful living
conditions, will reduce the risk of child abuse, we should be looking at
ways of achieving this goal.

"I am sure all Australians, including members of our churches, are totally
committed to these objectives. Our theme is based on Jesus words, let the
children come to me." (Luke 18:16)

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org. Any
comments about the content of the article should be directed to the author.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message, as any replies are discarded
automatically.