From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Cuttington College in Liberia plans graduation

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:55:02 -0400

June 13, 2002

2002-151

Episcopalians: Cuttington College in Liberia plans graduation

by James Solheim

(ENS) The students and faculty of Cuttington University College
(CUC)were driven from campus in early May because of renewed
fighting but they have set up temporary facilities in the
capital city of Monrovia. Despite a renewal of the civil war
that has plagued the west African nation for almost a
generation, the college is planning to graduate a class at the
end of July.

"We are in our second week of classes with 558 students--and
all is going well," reported Cuttington's president, Dr. Melvin
Mason, in a status report at the end of May. "Our fourth
academic year is nearing its end," he wrote. "Originally
scheduled to end July 7, the new date is now July 28, provided
everything holds as planned." This would be the first graduating
class since the reopening of the campus in October 1998, after a
previous cessation of hostilities in the country's ongoing civil
war.

Mason noted that the renewal of violence "has disrupted our
plans and imposed increased financial strain upon us." He has
appealed to Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion
and Episcopal Relief and Development for assistance. "Operation
Survival is our slogan."

In his descriptions of the evacuation and subsequent looting
of the campus by "heavily armed plainclothes men," Mason said
that the unarmed campus security force was "no match for these
intruders." Armed men with trucks carried out "massive looting
of houses and dormitories," taking everything left behind by the
students. "Most homes were clearing of everything that could be
taken away easily, including small freezers, air conditioners
and television sets. In order to collect these items, doors were
broken and roots were damaged to enter buildings. Now that the
rainy season is here, the impending damage to houses and other
buildings is incalculable," he reported.

Mason said that the marauders also killed or carried away
livestock on the campus and surrounding area, drained a fish
pond and "threatened to open fire upon the CUC security if they
attempted to intervene in an effort to protect the fish ponds."

"On the other hand, the academic areas were not so badly
looted, but much damage was done," Mason wrote in his report.
"Academic offices were all broken into and left opened with
documents scattered about."

He added, "In order to conduct classes in Monrovia, about 95
percent of all equipment, academic materials and records were
brought down," and many "contributions in kind" were given by
individuals and agencies to help the college reconvene. Classes
resumed May 27. There is no public water supply or electricity
in Monrovia, so generators are being used in the building now
leased by the college.

"We are thankful to God for protecting us in our travel,
enabling us to obtain a suitable building and relocating safely
on our 'new campus,'" Mason concluded.

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.