From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Minnesota pastor expects excitement, hard work

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Jun 2002 17:12:28 -0400

Note #7223 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Minnesota pastor expects excitement, hard work
GA02012
June 15, 2002

Minnesota pastor expects excitement, hard work

by Midge Mack

COLUMBUS, OH - Tammy Rider first attended a General Assembly 16 years ago, in Minneapolis, where she volunteered to welcome participants and serve communion. Since then she has become a single mom (adopting two daughters), attended United Seminary and been ordained to the pastoral ministry.

While the news media were bringing the first news of the Sept. 11 attacks in New York City and Washington, DC, Rider and her daughters were just leaving Trinity Presbyterian Church, in Topeka, KS, moving to Claremont, MN, where Rider had accepted a call to pastor the 153-member Claremont Presbyterian Church.

"We really had no place to call home that week, when everyone seemed to need one most," she said. "We weren't there and we weren't quite here, either."

Rider quickly settled into her new congregation, happy to be back in the area where she'd grown up. Her older daughter returned to college in Connecticut, and her 14-year-old immersed herself in the life of a high school freshman.

Rider said she is particularly excited to have been assigned to the standing committee on Confessions and Christology. "I've wanted to sink my teeth into our important issues," she said. "I know we have a lot of hard work ahead of us this week."