From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Businesswomen honored as Women of Faith

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 16 Jun 2002 15:02:25 -0400

Note #7229 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Businesswomen honored as Women of Faith
GA02018
June 16, 2002

Businesswomen honored as Women of Faith

Participants also honored Presbyterian hymn writer Jane Parker Huber

by Jerry Van Marter

COLUMBUS, OH - Three prosperous Presbyterian businesswomen and a much-loved leader of Presbyterian women (and men) were honored on June 16 during the annual Women of Faith Awards breakfast at the 214th General Assembly.

	The highlights of the event - themed "Women at Work in God's Realm" - were the presentations of coveted Women of Faith Awards to Nancy Aber Goshow, the owner of Goshow Architects, a 40-person architectural firm that is one of the largest woman-owned firms in New York City; Susan d'Olive Mozena, senior vice-president of operations for Presbyterian Villages of Michigan, a 550-employee, $30 million non-profit organization that provides homes and services to 2,000 senior residents; and Norma Ross, president of Bob Ross automobile dealerships, the 154th largest woman-owned business in the United States, the only Mercedes-Benz dealership in the world owned by an African-American woman.

	The event, sponsored by the Women's Ministries Program Area, also featured a tribute to Presbyterian leader and hymn-writer Jane Parker Huber, who was honored for her years of service to the Presbyterian Church (USA), especially in her recent stint as interim associate director for women's ministries in the National Ministries Division.

	"Jane is able to give expression for all of us as a writer of hymns," said Mary Elva Smith, Huber's successor as head of women's ministries. "And on a personal note, she set a tone and welcome space for me."

	The crowd was clearly moved by the testimonies of the women it honored.

	"What in this tough world sustains me?" Goshow asked rhetorically. "A collaborative community held together by God, seeking together to find God. My passion is architecture, my faith sustains my passion, and my community nurtures my faith." Goshow is a member and deacon at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in Manhattan.

	Mozena, who has been with Presbyterian Villages of Michigan for three years, said her faith "is at the core of what I have chosen to do as my work." She added: "You don't have to be a Presbyterian to work at PVM, but it sure feels good to be one." Mozena is an elder at Grosse Pointe Memorial Church, a Presbyterian congregation in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

	Ross said faith in God, daily prayer and hard work are essential elements in "the only way to grow a business." A member of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Dayton, OH, she also serves a Presbyterian Women enabler for seven congregations. The key to business success, she said, is trust: "At work as well as in the church, people working together must trust each other. My challenge is to impress upon my staff that this is so."