From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Executive Council addresses Church Center move, Mexico crisis

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:03:19 -0400

June 18, 2002

2002-156

Episcopalians: Executive Council addresses Church Center
move, Mexico crisis

by James Solheim

(ENS) At its meeting on the campus of the University of New
Hampshire in Durham June 10-13, the Executive Council heard
encouraging reports on the potential move of the Church Center
to the campus of the General Theological Seminary (GTS) in New
York City, but also wrestled with news of an alleged
misappropriation of funds in the Anglican Church in Mexico.

In a simple resolution that could have a dramatic, long-term
impact on the church, the council authorized an expenditure of
up to $1 million "toward the shared costs of continuing the
pursuit of the DFMS/GTS project, contingent on the satisfactory
completion of phase I." According to Russell Palmore of
Virginia, the financial analysis is very positive but both
parties are still weighing some aspects of their investment in
the project.

The second phase calls for hiring "the project architect,
project manager, public relations support and such other
assistance as may be required." The GTS board has already
approved its matching $1 million for this phase.

"The committee thinks that the project, in the long term,
makes economic sense. The mission and program opportunities and
long-term benefits to both parties outweigh the debt load and
real estate risks," Palmore told the council.

Treasurer Ralph O'Hara shared with council the figures
provided by the financial analysis, based on a substantial
renovation and lease of the property at 815 Second Avenue and
the construction of new offices in partnership with GTS on the
Ninth Avenue side of the seminary campus. Both parties would
participate in creating a conference center on the 10th Avenue
side of the campus. He said that initially the church was
assuming a high load of debt, due largely to the seminary's
contribution of the land underlying both offices and conference
center, but that he and committee members were monitoring the
equation that balances risks and rewards.

"I'm comfortable with how we are moving," Presiding Bishop
Frank T. Griswold said. In an interview at the end of the
meeting, he said that he and the council saw "a clear and
positive desire to press ahead but with prudence" because there
are still outstanding issues. "My concern from the beginning is
what best serves the mission of the church, what is the wise and
prudent move given the resources of the church. We are obliged
to keep the fiduciary issues at the forefront in our
deliberations."

Crisis in Mexican church

Council members were also greeted with news of a festering
crisis in the Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico. The church's
House of Bishops released a statement June 11 saying that it had
"discovered a shameful mismanagement of funds in the Dioceses of
Northern Mexico and Western Mexico, which has led us to a grave
crisis as an autonomous province of the Anglican Communion."

The bishops and the Mexican church's Executive Council
decided "after the careful examination and study of the results
of the audits recently carried out, to intervene in the
financial and administrative areas of both dioceses." They also
decided to "withdraw recognition of Bishop Samuel Espinoza as
Primate of this church, and to withdraw and suspend the
episcopal authority and privileges of Bishops German Martinez
Marquez and Samuel Espinoza."

Based on the reports, the Executive Council expressed
"sincere sympathy" with the Mexican church and affirmed them "as
they seek to remedy the situation" and as they "seek to conduct
and cooperate with appropriate investigations of the alleged
misappropriations" and remedy any "financial weakness found in
the financial structures of their dioceses." The resolution also
called for an "ongoing review" of the Episcopal Church's
procedures "to ensure sound fiscal dealings with all dioceses
and institutions, domestic and foreign, with which we have
covenant and other financial relationships."

Since the five Mexican dioceses formed an independent
province in 1997, the Episcopal Church USA has been supporting
them financially through a covenant that provides the majority
of the operating costs, about $700,000 a year. Those funds and
others designated are "custodial," held in trust by the American
church but under direct control of the Mexicans, the council was
told.

"You don't have the tight controls that used to exist when
these provinces were still part of the Episcopal Church," the
Rev. Pat Mauney of the Anglican and Global Relations office told
 The Living Church in an interview. "I think it
underlines the complication of monitoring fund transfers between
provinces." He expressed a deep concern for the vulnerability of
the church. In addition to the two bishops under suspicion, two
other bishops are retiring. "There are big changes around the
corner," Mauney said.

"We have great concern for our brothers and sisters in the
Province of Mexico and every hope and expectation that they will
resolve the issues themselves, allowing their mission to go
forward," said Griswold in an interview.

Setting budget priorities

An attempt to produce some priorities for program and budget
development provoked a spirited discussion among council members
who sought to balance the church's traditional commitment on
social issues with an emphasis on spiritual issues in line with
the 20/20 theme of church growth. The final resolution
identified six "areas of energy in the life of the church which
need to be expanded" and which should "inform our mission and
budget over the next triennium."

Included as priorities were: reaching out to youth and
including them in "the thinking, work, worship and structure of
the church"; "reconciling and engaging those who do not know
Christ"; revitalizing, transforming and starting new
congregations and ministries; reaffirming the church's
commitment to diversity at every level of the church, "promoting
justice and peace for all of God's creation and reaching out to
the dispossessed, imprisoned and otherwise voiceless" in our
society; and reaffirming partnership with the rest of the
Anglican Communion and ecumenical and interfaith relations.

Griswold said that "reconciliation will be the dominant theme
of the Minneapolis General Convention," as seen in the light of
the church's mission. "That allows us to use the vocabulary of
justice and holiness, too often perceived as opposites."

In other action the council:

 heard the Rev. George Werner, president of the House
of Deputies and vice chair of the council, describe his 11 years
in the Diocese of New Hampshire. He also sketched the process
for choosing a site for the 2006 General Convention, concluding
that Columbus, Ohio, had superior facilities and would be the
recommendation;

 were welcomed by Bishop Douglas Theuner to the
Diocese of New Hampshire which is celebrating its 200th
anniversary this fall. "This is a growing diocese, small but
wonderful," he said in an evening program that highlighted
ministries in the diocese and the province.

 participated in anti-racism training that uncovered
some sharp criticism of the Church Center's hiring policies and
practices, asking that council receive regular updates on the
affirmative action personnel practices in the future;

 opposed "unilateral military action against Iraq for
the sole purpose of overthrowing the regime of Saddam Hussein
and supports efforts to implement UN resolutions on weapons
inspections and military sanctions rather than the use of force
to address the problem";

 commended former Senator John Danforth, an ordained
priest from Missouri, for his efforts as the president's special
envoy to bring a ceasefire to the Sudan and stop the religious
persecution by the Khartoum government, including the imposition
of Islamic law in the south where most of the Christians live;

 recognized the need for "publicly acknowledged
church communities where sexual minorities are welcome to
participate fully in the life of the community respecting their
dignity as children of God and their right to
self-determination."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.