From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GA approves farm-crisis report

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 20 Jun 2002 14:32:50 -0400

Note #7296 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

19-June-2002
GA02087

GA approves farm-crisis report

We Are What We Eat promotes awareness of food ministries

by Evan Silverstein

COLUMBUS, OH - The General Assembly on June 19 approved with comment a recommendation calling on the entire Presbyterian Church (USA) to address issues related to food production and consumption.

The report from the Assembly Committee on Evangelism and Witness included a document, We Are What We Eat, that was created in response to an overture enacted by the 1999 Assembly on the farm crisis and its impact on families of farmers and ranchers.

It urges church members to become more knowledgeable about problems and issues affecting rural communities, farmers and ranchers, whose situations impact PC(USA) congregations.

It calls for prayer for farmers around the world, lawmakers and directors and employees of trans-national corporations in the food industry, and for "each of us as we make choices related to the food we produce, process and consume."

The committee projected the financial implications for 2002 at $4,220.

The committee affixed a comment: "Inasmuch as more than half of all (11,000) PC(USA) congregations are rural, we commend the full text rationale of the We Are What We Eat report as a positive step toward revitalization of rural congregations."