From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Detterick confirmed for 2nd term by acclamation

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Jun 2002 08:07:40 -0400

Note #7309 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

20-June-2002
GA02100

Detterick confirmed for 2nd term by acclamation

GAC executive director will focus on visioning, Mission Initiative, partnership with middle governing bodies

by Jerry Van Marter

COLUMBUS, OH - By acclamation Thursday, John J. Detterick was confirmed by the 214th General Assembly for a second four-year term as executive director of the General Assembly Council (GAC). First elected in 1998, he was unanimously reelected by the GAC in February.

In presenting the unanimous confirmation recommendation by the Assembly Committee on Mission Coordination and Budgets, committee moderator William Pohlmann of Pittsburgh Presbytery called Detterick "a man of thoughtful leadership, a man of strong faith with a wealth of experience, integrity and vision."

The Rev. Adelia Kelso, the outgoing GAC vice-chair, who headed Detterick's end-of-term review committee, said the Council "affirmed Detterick's ministry of the past four years in inspiring and challenging the GAC with his broad vision and commitment to Jesus Christ and the structure and mission of the PC(USA), in leading the GAC and its staff in rebuilding relationship trust between the denomination and middle governing bodies, and in recognizing and developing the gifts of leadership in both staff and elected people."

Detterick said that when he began his work four years ago "I wasn't sure I could do the job. In fact I wasn't sure the job was doable." But, Detterick quickly added, "God is good, and these four years have been extremely good."

Detterick, who previously served for five years as president of the denomination's Board of Pensions, said strained relationships have been restored, trust between Assembly entities and with middle governing bodies have been built, and financial issues have been addressed during his first term.

He then outlined three key objectives for his second term:

* A strategic visioning process - the GAC embarked upon a long-range planning process this winter, its first in more than a decade, Detterick said;

* The Mission Initiative - a proposed $40 million effort to raise money from major donors for overseas missionaries and new church development, particularly racial ethnic and immigrant congregations; and

* "Development and implementation of new understandings of partnership."  Detterick said, "We don't know how to consult well and be good partners yet. Everything we do must be done in partnership with our middle governing bodies, and we're determined to learn how to be better partners."

A service of installation for Detterick was held on the General Assembly platform following the vote.