From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jack Rogers, Gary Charles receive Writers Guild awards

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Jun 2002 08:19:03 -0400

Note #7316 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

20-June-2002
GA02107

Jack Rogers, Gary Charles receive Writers Guild awards

by Bill Lancaster

COLUMBUS, OH - The Presbyterian Writers Guild presented its David Steele Distinguished Writer Award to the Rev. Jack Rogers, who before he became moderator of the 213th General Assembly (2001), authored four books in wide use in the Presbyterian Church (USA).

His most recent book is a 2002 re-print of Confessions of a Conservative Evangelical, first printed in 1973.  His other books are: Presbyterian Creeds: A Guide to the Book of Confessions, Claiming the Center, Reading the Bible and the Confessions in a Presbyterian Way.  He also has a chapter in the book, Renewing the Vision.  All are published by Presbyterian Publishing Corporation (PPC) under its Westminster John Knox or Geneva Press imprints.

The award was made at the Writers Guild luncheon June 20 at the 214th General Assembly (2002) of the PC(USA).

"I'm especially grateful to David [Steele] for the friendship he afforded me long before he understood me," Rogers said. "I never felt that David's friendship depended on agreement.  It rather depended on David's gracious, Christ like temperament that was fully accepting of those who were other than himself.

"I'm very grateful for such a wonderful, formal transition from my brief career as a church politician back to my preferred vocation as a writer," Rogers said.

"One thing they don't tell you before you become moderator is that you are expected to do a lot of writing, and it has to be done on the run," he said, recounting a number of pieces he wrote in only one month last summer.   "There are actually many opportunities for the moderator to write, the problem is there is almost no time for quiet, sustained reflection necessary to write."

He said the re-print of Confessions of a Conservative Evangelical was the only way he could have produced a book in his moderatorial year.

The Guild also presented its Angell Award for first-time authors to Gary Charles, author of The Bold Alternative: Staying in Church in the 21st Century, published by PPC. Charles is pastor of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House, Alexandria, VA.

Charles' next book, co-authored with Brian Blount of Princeton Theological Seminary, will be called: Preaching Mark in Two Voices, also published by PPC.