From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS- Final report from the International Anglican Conversations on

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:21:32 -0700

Human Sexuality

ACNS 3041 - ACO - 29 June 2002

A final report from the International Anglican Conversations on Human
Sexuality

The Trinity 2002 issue of Anglican World presents the final report, which
has emerged from the International Anglican Conversations on Human
Sexuality.

Following the Lambeth Conference of 1998, Bishops from different Provinces
of the Anglican Communion were called together at the invitation of the
Archbishop of Canterbury for a series of conversations regarding issues of
human sexuality. According to the Archbishop's mandate the purpose was to
"help move the whole Communion forward from the Lambeth resolution."

The Most Revd Frank T Griswold, Presiding Bishop and Primate of the
Episcopal Church in the United States, said, "The purpose of the meetings
were to deepen our understanding of each others' views, as well as the
theological perspectives and personal/cultural experiences in which these
views are grounded."

The Statement is not just a question of what is regarded as being an
acceptable approach in one society; it is more a part of how the Communion
feels in its entirety.

In his commendation for the report the Most Revd and Rt Hon George L Carey,
Archbishop of Canterbury, commented, "We dialogue in order to clarifyand to
appreciate better (even though we may not agree with) the reasons why some
people's views differ so radically from our own. In this way, our deepest
search for truth will not be divorced from the fellowship we need for truth
to emerge."

Those who took part in the conversations were:

The Rt Revd Simon Chiwanga, Bishop of Mpwapwa, Tanzania
The Rt Revd Terence Finlay, Bishop of Toronto, USA
The Most Revd Frank T Griswold, Presiding Bishop and Primate, Episcopal
Church, USA
The Rt Revd Roger Herft, Bishop of Newcastle, NSW, Australia
The Rt Revd Josiah Idowu-Fearon, Bishop of Kaduna, Nigeria
The Rt Revd Chilton Knudsen, Bishop of Maine, USA
The Most Revd Peter Kwong, Archbishop of Hong Kong
The Most Revd Glauco Soares de Lima, Primate of Brazil and Bishop of Sao
Paulo
The Rt Revd John Lipscome, Bishop of Southwest Florida, USA
The Rt Revd Michael Scott-Joynt, Bishop of Winchester, UK
The Rt Revd Peter Watson, Archbishop of Melbourne, Australia
The Most Revd Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Wales, UK