From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Namibian Lutherans Seek a Unifying Church Structure

From "Frank Imhoff" <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 07:55:35 -0500

Merger Model Favored by the Three Churches

OTJIWARONGO, Namibia/GENEVA, 3 July 2002 (LWI) - Leaders of the
three Lutheran World Federation (LWF) member churches in Namibia
are optimistic about the development of ongoing initiatives to
unite their churches, a process formally begun two years after the
country's 1990 independence.

They agree that the main task ahead is to find a common unifying
church structure. While the present framework reflects the
division created during colonialism and apartheid, a new model
would express the churches' unity.

The 580,000-member Evangelical Lutheran Church in Namibia (ELCIN)
in the north, Windhoek-based Evangelical Lutheran Church in the
Republic of Namibia (ELCRN) with 300, 000 members and the
7,000-member German-speaking Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Namibia (ELKIN-DELK) constitute the LWF Namibia National Committee
(LWF-NNC).

Two unity models have been discussed. A merger suggests the
complete dissolution of all three churches with the aim of forming
a single united Lutheran church in Namibia. A federal approach
would imply a measure of independence for each church while unity
would mainly be implemented at the higher level. In 1992 the
merger proposal was declared as the ultimate aim and ideal of all
three churches.

Lutheran World Information (LWI) interviewed the church leaders
after their February 2002 meeting convened to take stock of
Lutheran unity so far. DELK Bishop Reinhard Keding stressed that
the possibilities of a united Lutheran church in Namibia have been
discussed for a long time. "We have built up mutual trust, and the
relationship between the people serving on this committee
[LWF-NNC] is good."

Keding, outgoing LWF-NNC chairperson, said his church, based on a
congregational structure, was expressing the need not for a
different, but an interim structure on the way to unity. "We must
find a path towards unity with concrete and visible intermediate
stages," that would reflect a more federally oriented system at
some levels, he said. He noted that it was "very important to get
the members of our congregations behind our decisions. We agreed
that we need and want unity. But we will have to consider how
unity will develop in the congregations and not simply impose it
on the people from above."

DELK congregations have their own constitution, and can act as a
corporate body. They own property and generally have a greater
measure of authority. The ELCIN and ELCRN have a top-down
Episcopal structure. Their congregations are more oriented towards
their church boards, which own most of the congregations' property
and take more decisions at the higher hierarchical level.

Also, pastors' service contracts differ substantially. Under
DELK's calling system, the congregations elect their pastors. The
sending system practiced by the ELCRN and ELCIN mandates the
respective church boards to send pastors to the congregations.
There are also different salary structures, which would have to be
unified with the establishment of one church.

At the Otjiwarongo meeting, it was also agreed to work at an
"agreement of co-operation," that would oblige churches in future
not to act independently in clearly identified areas such as
social services, women and youth work.

ELCIN Western Diocese Bishop Dr. Thomas Shivute, the new LWF-NNC
chairperson confirmed that things are changing. "We are now
sharing a positive attitude. We are still studying different
proposals and we need time. The LWF-NNC, presided over by each
church on a rotational basis, "has become a very important body,
where sharing takes place," he said.

Shivute cited different groups and areas of work where unity is
already being practiced. These include the oldest such group, the
biennial Conference of Phillipine - Lutheran Women, named after
ELCRN member Phillipine Stefanus, which as a loose union of
Lutheran women from all three churches was already advocating
unity ten years before independence. Another example is the common
hymn book "Cantate Domino," published in1996 by LWF-NNC. Its 85
songs in six Namibian languages enable Lutherans from all parts of
the country to celebrate joint services in their own mother
tongue. Further examples include the pastors' and youth leaders'
conferences, annual meetings of women theologians, regular
meetings of the four bishops, and the close networking concerning
the spiritual and practical challenges posed by the HIV/AIDS
pandemic. In 2001 a first united Lutheran congregation, the
Inner-City Lutheran Congregation, was founded in the capital,
Windhoek. Currently the LWF-NNC is considering joint theological
training of pastors and working at the formulation of a common
constitution.

ELCIN Presiding Bishop Apollos Kaulinge (Eastern Diocese), said
they "are eager to see one Lutheran church in Namibia
materializing. It is now a matter of getting ready with respect to
the constitution."

ELCRN Bishop Dr. Zephaniah Kameeta who has been involved in the
process for 30 years said, "It might sound shocking that we have
not reached Lutheran unity yet. But,  I can say, that since the
first attempts, a new situation of co-operation between the three
churches has developed compared to the past."

Pastor Angela Veii, LWF-NNC coordinator, emphasizes the need for
unity at congregational level. "It is here that unity has to be
practiced in the end." In a recent information letter to the three
Lutheran churches she wrote: "The task is huge, the challenges
many, but the promise that we can be agents of reconciliation and
peace by expressing unity in diversity is rewarding and worth
striving for."

The Namibian Lutherans' first formal step toward unity was 10
years ago when their representatives met in Gross Barmen, north of
Windhoek. The 1992 Gross Barmen Resolution, which documents the
conference's outcome and the content of the churches' commitment
is regarded as a binding and guiding document today. It was also
at Gross Barmen that the LWF-NNC consisting of the four bishops
and two delegates from each church was formed to encourage
co-operation.

The country's 1.8 million population includes around 80 percent
Christians, of which 66 percent are Lutheran.

(By Windhoek-based LWI correspondent, Erika von Wietersheim)

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the
Lutheran tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund (Sweden), the LWF now
has 133 member churches in 73 countries representing over 60.5
million of the 64.3 million Lutherans worldwide. The LWF acts on
behalf of its member churches in areas of common interest such as
ecumenical relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human
rights, communication, and the various aspects of mission and
development work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva,
Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of
the Lutheran World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted,
material presented does not represent positions or opinions of the
LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an article
contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced
with acknowledgment.]

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Editor's e-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
http://www.lutheranworld.org/