From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Bishops' Statement on Same-sex unions

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:39:22 -0700

ACNS 3050 - AUSTRALIA - 8 July 2002

Statement concerning a recent decision of the synod of the diocese of New
Westminster, Canada, from bishops of the Anglican church of Australia

We understand that the Bishop and Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster
have approved the blessing of same-sex unions.

This is a significant and historic break in the teaching of the Anglican
Church on marriage and human sexuality.

It stands in contradiction to the tradition of the Church, the overwhelming
consensus of the 1998 Lambeth Conference, and the 1997 Statement from the
Canadian House of Bishops.

The innovation threatens the fabric of the worldwide Communion and puts in
question the nature of our on-going communion with this Diocese.

We call upon the Bishop to not act upon the decision. If he does, it
effectively creates a state of impaired communion.

In the event of such an unprecedented move, we call on the Canadian House of
Bishops to provide alternative episcopal oversight to those members of the
Anglican Communion in New Westminster who, through their faithful adherence
to the teaching of our Church, are now in a state of impaired communion with
the Bishop and the Diocese.

List of Signatories:

The Most Rev Peter Jensen, Archbishop of Sydney
The Rt Revd Peter Brain, Bishop of Armidale
The Rt Revd Bruce Clark, Bishop of Riverina
The Rt Revd Glenn Davies, Bishop of North Sydney, Diocese of Sydney
The Rt Revd Ross Davies, Bishop of The Murray
The Rt Revd Robert Forsyth, Bishop of South Sydney, Diocese of Sydney
The Rt Revd Tom Frame, Bishop to the Defence Forces
The Rt Revd Godfrey Fryar, Regional Bishop, Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn
The Rt Revd Stephen Hale, Bishop of Eastern Region, Diocese of Melbourne
The Rt Revd John Harrower OAM, Bishop of Tasmania
The Rt Revd Roger Herft, Bishop of Newcastle
The Rt Revd Richard Hurford OAM, Bishop of Bathurst
The Rt Revd Brian King, Bishop of Western Sydney, Diocese of Sydney
The Rt Revd Tony Nichols, Bishop of North West Australia
The Rt Revd Reg Piper, Bishop of Wollongong, Diocese of Sydney
The Rt Revd David Silk, Bishop of Ballarat
The Rt Revd Paul White, Bishop of Western Region, Diocese of Melbourne