From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Women Hear from Organizational Leaders

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:46:38 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 12, 2002

ELCA WOMEN HEAR FROM ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERS
WO-02-04-JB

     PHILADELPHIA (ELCA) -- Leaders of Women of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) reflected on the past three years and
offered their views of the future in a series of remarks to 500
convention voting delegates here July 11.
     Women of the ELCA's Triennial Gathering is meeting here July 8-14
at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.  The organization's three-year
theme, "Listen, God is Calling," is being unveiled at the convention
amid Bible study, keynote addresses, workshops, field trips, business
sessions and elections.  More than 3,200 women from across the United
States and around the world are participating.
     Women of the ELCA operates on a three-year thematic programming
cycle. The organization's executive board adopted a new mission and
purpose for the organization during this triennium, a significant
accomplishment, said Linda Chinnia, Women of the ELCA president,
Baltimore.  Chinnia is completing her three-year term at this
convention.
     The organization's mission is "to mobilize women to act boldly on
their faith in Jesus Christ."
     A "constant" in the organization is that women are engaged to
affirm healing and wholeness in the church and in the world, Chinnia
said.  Women of the ELCA has built its present ministry with the help of
outstanding leaders from the past.  Among its work today is promotion of
global understanding, prayer and partnerships, she added.
     "We have claimed and tested our heritage," Chinnia said.  "We have
asked hard questions to move ahead in bold, new ways.  God's future has
called us, and we are saying yes."
     La Vaun Danielson, executive board member, Franklin, Minn., said
the executive board accomplished much in this triennium.  She cited an
organizational self-assessment effort, special Women of the ELCA units
formed with the help of existing units in congregations, the creation of
an anti-racism network, Women and Children Living in Poverty ministries,
a special program to invite younger women to become active in the
organization, and greater numbers of subscriptions for the recently
redesigned "Lutheran Woman Today," a magazine for Women of the ELCA.
     Catherine "Cathi" I.H. Braasch, Women of the ELCA executive
director, thanked members and staff for her five years in the
organization's churchwide leadership role.  Braasch previously announced
she will leave her position next month. Braasch, who has been studying
for the ordained ministry, will begin serving an internship next month
at Hope Lutheran Church, Smithfield, Neb., she said.
     "Thank you for the privilege of being with you for this season of
five years," Braasch told the delegates.  The delegates responded by
adopting a resolution thanking Braasch.
     Voting members were introduced to Linda Post Bushkofsky, who will
assume the role as Women of the ELCA executive director next month.
Bushkofsky has been an active member of the organization for several
years.  She told delegates I want to "hear your stories."
     "You have nurtured my faith, challenged my assumptions and you've
provoked my conscience," she said.
     In a brief financial report to delegates, Sally Frank, Women of
the ELCA treasurer, Beaver, Pa., reported regular offering to Women of
the ELCA were down 7 percent in the previous fiscal year.
"Thankofferings," in which women give thanks for specific ministries
through financial gifts, were up 14 percent, she said.  Delegates will
consider a new budget for 2003 at this convention.
     In another action July 11, the delegates agreed to continue a
global education and advocacy program, sponsored by the Women of the
ELCA and ELCA Division for Global Mission.  The program addresses
"issues faced by women around the world" and "advocates for justice and
empowerment for women," according to a resolution delegates adopted.
The resolution encouraged synodical women's organizations to financially
support global communities and to support them in prayer.  The
resolution was presented to the convention by the Southeastern Minnesota
Synod women's organization.
-- -- --
Editors: Photographs from Women of the ELCA's Triennial Gathering are
maintained at http://www.elca.org/wo/events/tg/tg02/connect/photos.html
on the Web.

News releases and other information about the gathering are maintained
at http://www.elca.org/wo/events/tg/tg02/connect/news.html on the Web.

For information, contact: Melissa Ramirez, newsroom manager,
(215) 418-2045 or mramirez@elca.org

For information contact: