From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Archbishop commends inter faith relations

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:34:37 -0700

ACNS 3059 - LAMBETH PALACE - 17 July 2002

Archbishop commends inter faith relations

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, has spoken of the importance
of dialogue and the promotion of understanding in inter faith relations.

At a farewell inter faith gathering at the Sternberg Centre in North London,
Dr Carey said that the inter faith dimension had been a large and unexpected
aspect of his ministry.

"You may have heard me say it before, but I cannot resist saying again how
surprised I would have been, when I became Archbishop over eleven years ago,
to know just how much of my time was going to be spent in developing
understanding, friendship and co-operation between the different faiths."

Dr Carey also paid tribute to the distinguished contribution to inter faith
relations made by Sir Sigmund Sternberg, and spoke appreciatively of their
friendship and co-operation since they first met at the World Council of
Churches conference at Canberra in 1991.

Dr Carey repeated his sadness that the Church of England General Synod's
debate on Christian Witness had been misinterpreted as a drive for
conversion.

"What our debate affirmed was that as Christians we have a responsibility to
share our faith sensitively and respectfully; the Christian message includes
a gracious invitation to others to hear the words of Christ. But that is a
very different thing from crusading belligerence, or any attempt to coerce
others to believe what we believe."

Dr Carey said that the friendships that have grown between the different
faith leaders had been pivotal for his work as Archbishop:

"We have learned that there is no substitute for personal contact in
encounters which lead to firm friendships; no substitute for hospitality,
graciously given and gratefully received; no substitute for wisdom and
learning, shared amongst us; no substitute for differences honestly
expressed and courteously heard. But above all, as we struggled to cope with
the challenge of September 11th and all that it has meant for our different
faith communities; no substitute for standing together when one of us is
threatened."