From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Nigerian Archbishop Akinola seated on international throne of

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:40:08 -0700

New York Cathedral

ACNS 3063 - ENS - 17 July 2002

Nigerian Archbishop Akinola seated on international throne of New York
Cathedral

by Neva Rae Fox

[ENS] "I believe this is an historic and propitious moment in the life of
our beloved Anglican Communion."

With those visionary words, the Rt Revd Mark Sisk, Bishop of the Episcopal
Diocese of New York, installed the Primate of the Anglican Church of Nigeria
on the International Cathedra of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
in Manhattan.

Over 500 people watched as Archbishop Peter Akinola was seated on the
international throne on Sunday 7 July. The majestic cathedral radiated a
festive mood with all the trappings. Many visitors were adorned in colourful
African robes befitting the welcoming of an African leader, with African
drums and music greeting the procession as it made its way to the high
altar.

"This is a moment when we reach around the globe and join hands with our
brothers and sisters in the faith," said Bishop Mark in addressing the
congregation. "This is a moment when we see face to face those for whom and
with whom we pray. This is a moment in which we affirm that our essential
unity in Christ transcends our need to agree in every particular. This is a
moment in which we confirm that not only is our Communion broad enough and
strong enough to withstand diversity, we are strong enough to realise that
our very strength is enhanced by our diversity."

Global mosaic
All who stepped to the lectern - Bishop Mark Sisk and Archbishop Peter
Akinola, as well as Presiding Bishop Frank T Griswold and Dean James
Kowalski of the cathedral - addressed the different contexts of the global
mosaic.

"It is my belief, it is my conviction, it is my hope, that we in New York
will be made stronger by a closer fellowship with the church in Nigeria as
you, our brothers and sisters, witness Christ's presence and love in the
face of some of the most demanding and even dangerous settings on earth,"
said Bishop Sisk. "And in turn, is it my hope and conviction that the
witness of the church in Nigeria will be enhanced and strengthened by a
deepened fellowship with us here in New York as we too, in our way, attempt
to witness to the abiding love of God for all people, wherever and in it
whatever circumstances they may find themselves."

The Primate of Nigeria drew applause when he announced with sincerity, "You
have accepted us as we are, no strings attached. And for this we are very
grateful. In so doing, we believe that both you and I have left the door
open for stronger mutual friendship, for greater deepening and understanding
of our relationships."

Talking about the phenomenal growth of the Anglican Church in Nigeria,
Archbishop Akinola cited his diocese's decision to plant 52 churches in
2002. "In May 40 were already planted," he announced. "In the middle of last
week, five more had been planted. For us, church growth is a task that must
be done."

Moving beyond doubts
Presiding Bishop Frank T Griswold relayed the rockiness of his initial
meeting with Archbishop Akinola two years ago, based on some public
criticisms the archbishop made of developments in the American church,
particularly on sexuality issues. "Because of what had been reported, I was
none too sure that I wanted to meet him. He, on the other hand, had similar
doubts about me." After meeting, praying and sharing together, they quickly
became friends and learned "to appreciate the very different contexts in
which we were called to be ministers of Christ."

Following their first meeting, Archbishop Akinola asked Presiding Bishop
Griswold to visit his country for the Nigerian bishops' annual retreat, a
trip reported in the national Episcopal press. The presiding bishop was
asked if he came with an agenda, "not simply because I was the primate of
ECUSA but because the force of the United States economically and culturally
is such that the Episcopal Church is seen as part of that highly ambiguous
reality which is perceived as both curse and blessing known as
globalisation."

The Primate of the Episcopal Church, USA, then told of the success and joy
at the visit. "Little did I realise the invitation to Nigeria was an
invitation to meet Christ clothed in a context and a cultural reality very
different from my own," he said. "Their democracy is still very much a
fragile experiment and much of the infrastructure we take for granted is
tenuous, to say the least. It is therefore the church, engaged in what it
calls pragmatic evangelism, that is seeking to build many of the structures
of civil society seen always as an expression of the Gospel and part of the
ongoing work of evangelisation."

Kowalski underscored the symbolism of the occasion, noting that hosting
Archbishop Akinola showed that Anglicans could "stand together despite our
differences."

Answering questions
Following the service, St James Chapel was jammed with men and women from
the USA, Africa, and all parts of the world who wanted to meet the
archbishop and learn more about him. The Archbishop of Nigeria greeted every
question with calmness and a smile.

In response as to whether he previously had made disparaging comments about
lesbians and gays, the archbishop maintained that he had been misquoted.
"Anybody in my position suffers from press interpretation all the time," he
stated, announcing that he is often faced with people who "come with their
own agenda. These are misleading people, people who deliberately mislead
others," he stated. "The question did not ask about gays and lesbians."

Concerning the appallingly rapid growth of HIV/AIDS in Africa, Akinola
pointed out the work the church. "In Nigeria, we have engaged more in the
area of counselling."

The Church of Nigeria is the fastest-growing member of the worldwide
Anglican Communion, with 18 million members, comprised of 78 dioceses in
three provinces. Others who have been seated on the International Throne
are: Vasken I, Catholikos of the Armenian Church (February 1989); Karekin
II, Catholicos of Cilicia (February 1989); Archbishop Michael Peers, Primate
of Canada (October 1989); Archbishop George Carey, Archbishop of Canterbury
(September 1992); Archbishop Orland Lindsay, Primate of the West Indies
(June 1994); Metropolitan Sergei, Moscow Patriarchate (March 1997).