From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Parsonages under Pressure in Taiwan

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:45:19 -0700

Taiwan Church News 2629, July 21, 2002
Reported by Li Yi-ying,
Translated and rewritten by David Alexander

     The work of a pastor can put members of his or her family
under extreme pressure.  Who knows the thoughts of the
children of the manse?  To give them a chance to blow off
steam and learn from each other, the Chinese Christian
Evangelistic Association will hold a conference for the children
of clergy from July 22 to 25.
    Ms. Wang Su-fei, director of the association's development
center, said, "A pastor's children are closely watched by many
people from the time they are very little all through their
growing
up.  The members of the church are especially cautious.  Pastors'

children are often held to standards higher than the other
children
in the church. We offer this conference to care for them, and
give them a chance to care for each other."
    Lian En-li, who has participated in seven such conferences,
said, "The most important thing we can help these young people
with is to understand their own identity. As we investigate the
parameters of church work and the misunderstandings they
have about their parents' roles, we find that many discover
for the first time the extent of their clergy parent's care for
them.  They may have believed that the pastor cared only
for the church members. If this kind of misunderstanding is not
cleared up it becomes like poison at the center of their being."
    Mr. Lian added, "Everyone who joins our camp has grown
up in similar circumstances.  This is a safe place for them to
vent their sadness.  Through mutual understanding we
can help a lot of people overcome injuries.  We want to
guide them in understanding of the dynamics of the clerical
home with its many special challenges and blessings.  So, our
goal is not only self-knowledge, but also understanding of their
parents, and of their God."

For more information: www.ccea.org.tw