From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - CMS leader welcomes Canterbury appointment

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:08:15 -0700

ACNS 3078 - ENGLAND - 25 July 2002

CMS leader welcomes Canterbury appointment

The Church Mission Society has welcomed the appointment of Archbishop Dr
Rowan Williams as the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury as a decisive move that
will bring thoughtfulness, new energy and depth to the mission of the
Church. In a statement issued today, CMS General Secretary the Revd Canon
Tim Dakin says:

"This is a decisive move which will open up the possibility of radical
renewal of the way the Church of England engages in mission. Dr Rowan
Williams brings immense intellectual gifts, personal holiness, theological
depth and cultural breadth to the role of archbishop. He will give a
strategic lead to the mission to our nation and culture at a time when some
are saying the Church has lost its way.

"I believe evangelical colleagues will find in him someone who understands
their position and concerns, who will be a listening ear, and whose
partnership will build on the valued ministry of Archbishop George Carey to
strengthen their mission calling. I also think he will bring strong
convictions about the Gospel as public truth to debates about the social and
ethical issues at stake in the life of the nation and the Anglican
Communion.

"I hope people will pray for him and his family, in particular for wisdom
for Rowan as he seeks to lead the Anglican Communion into greater unity and
listens to the voices of third-world Anglican leaders and their
biblically-based convictions.

"I look forward to his leadership."