From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

God helped save trapped miners, United Methodist clergy say

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:13:52 -0500

July 30, 2002   News media contact: Linda Bloom7(212) 870-38037New York
10-21-71B{332}

By United Methodist News Service

Family members of the nine trapped Pennsylvania coal miners and the clergy
who supported them throughout their 77-hour ordeal have no doubt that God
played a key role in the successful rescue.

"We're just totally amazed at how the hand of God was on this the whole
time," the Rev. Barry Ritenour told United Methodist News Service during a
July 29 telephone interview. "God used people and accomplished this job in a
fantastic way."

The Rev. Charles Olson agreed that it was not just luck but the divine
guidance of a knowledgeable rescue team - able, among other things, to
strategically drill a six-inch air pipe into the shaft - that kept the
trapped miners alive. "God put all of those people together and said,
'Here's where we go.'"

Both United Methodist pastors were with the families, along with clergy of
other faiths, throughout the crisis, which began July 24 when the nine-man
crew at the Quecreek Mine accidentally drilled into an adjacent, abandoned,
water-filled mine.

The miner who did the drilling, 41-year-old Mark Popernack, his wife, Sandy,
and their two sons are members of Grace United Methodist Church in Somerset,
where Olson is pastor. Popernack reported that the water started coming in
fast and heavy, pushing the crew to higher ground. The men vowed to get out
together alive but also scrawled notes to loved ones in case that didn't
happen.

Popernack was treated for hypothermia and dehydration and released from
Somerset Hospital later in the morning on July 28. Olson recalled that when
he saw the miner in the hospital emergency room following his rescue,
Popernack said, "Reverend, I'm sorry I can't be in church this Sunday, but
I'll be there the next."

After the accident, a church member who works for the Pennsylvania State
Police called Ritenour, who has a two-point charge of Bethany and St. John's
United Methodist churches about a mile from the rescue site. The church
member asked the pastor to open the Sipesville Volunteer Fire Dept. Hall for
the family members and gather local clergy. "I got there Wednesday night and
left there Sunday morning at 3 a.m." Ritenour said.

Olson arrived for a 72-hour stay, punctuated by short naps in his van
outside the hall. "We were counseling our people and praying with them and
providing devotional materials," he explained.

The accent remained on the positive as rescuers drilled first one and then
another escape shaft to reach the men, even when the drill bit broke early
on July 26. "We just kept reminding them (the families) of God's presence,"
Ritenour said, adding, "This is a very strong Christian community. They
leaned on God a lot."

Support, both emotional and material, came from many sources, according to
Olson. Various churches, organizations and restaurants provided food during
the crisis. Pennsylvania Gov. Mark Schweiker was present to offer
encouragement. Even family members of victims of hijacked United Airlines
Flight 93, which crashed on Sept. 11 just 10 miles from the mine site, sent
an e-mail of support, Olson said.

The pastor said that none of Popernack's family members was surprised that
the miner took the responsibility of being the last man out, hoisted to the
surface at 2:44 a.m. on July 28. "We had an extra special blessing as a
family because Mark was the last one," he reported.

Later that day, Olson changed the planned worship service to reflect on his
time with the miners' families. "I took some time to share with my
congregation tears of joy and an understanding of how things went," he
explained.

Clergy are organizing a praise and thanksgiving service for the families on
the evening of Aug. 4 at a local Lutheran church.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org