From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Return Armenian Church Land, U.S. Church Council Presses Israel

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:57:47 -0400

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
news@ncccusa.org; www.ncccusa.org
NCC7/31/02 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EDGAR PETITIONS ARIEL SHARON TO RETURN ARMENIAN CHURCH PROPERTY
Israel Plans to Erect a Barrier on Property Sacred to Armenians Worldwide,
Held Since 1641

	July 31, 2002, NEW YORK CITY - A sacred Armenian Church property near
Bethlehem, seized by the Israeli government and facing demolition, must be
protected and returned to its rightful owners, National Council of Churches
(U.S.A.) General Secretary Bob Edgar says in an urgent appeal to Israels
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

	Baron Der, in the northern outskirts of Bethlehem, has belonged to the
Armenian Church since 1641.  Of great historical and spiritual significance
to Armenians worldwide, it includes an Armenian Church administrative and
training center, religious retreat and archaeological site.

The sites olive trees, some of them 500 years old, by custom have supplied
the oil used in lamps at the traditional tomb of Christ at the Church of the
Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem and also at the Church of the Nativity in
Bethlehem, revered as the traditional birthplace of Christ.

Dr. Edgar, in his July 31 letter to Prime Minister Sharon, writes, As a
national U.S. ecumenical body, comprised of 36 Orthodox and Protestant
communions, including our brothers and sisters in the Armenian Church of
America, we feel compelled to speak out regarding reports of the seizure of
this holy place and of plans to destroy it by erecting a barrier that would
run through the property.

As a result, the Patriarchate may lose this sacred and historically
important property, and also the income derived from it-another blow to a
minority Christian community there that already is tremendously stressed. We
fear that this violation does not bode well for other religious minorities
residing in Israel.

We further understand that the seizure of Baron Der is taking place despite
repeated efforts on the part of the Patriarchate to prevent the division of
the property and to resolve the matter in a mutually satisfactory manner,
Dr. Edgar wrote.  We respectfully ask you to do everything in your power to
assist in resolving this matter in a way that ensures the return of this
holy site to its rightful owners, and that guarantees the protection of the
Armenian and other religious minorities living in Israel.

The full text of Dr. Edgars letter to Prime Minister Sharon follows.

July 31, 2002
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

On behalf of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, to
which 50 million Americans relate through their denominations, I greet you
and also present you with an urgent request.

It is with a sense of alarm that I write to ask your assistance in resolving
a situation in which recent actions of the Israeli government have infringed
on the rights of the Armenian Orthodox Church. I refer to the seizure of
sacred Armenian Church property in the northern outskirts of Bethlehem,
which property the Armenian Church has held since the year 1641.

We understand that the property, known as Baron Der, includes an Armenian
Apostolic Church administrative and training center, religious retreat,
income-producing olive grove, and archaeological site-and is of great
historical and spiritual significance to Armenians throughout the world.
Among the treasures of Baron Der that are being threatened are the olive
trees (some of them 500 years old) that by custom have supplied the oil used
[...]

the property and to resolve the matter in a mutually satisfactory manner. We
respectfully ask you to do everything in your power to assist in resolving
this matter in a way that ensures the return of this holy site to its
rightful owners, and that guarantees the protection of the Armenian and
other religious minorities living in Israel.

Along with this request comes the assurance that prayers for you and other
world leaders and for peace in the Middle East are regularly being said
among the 140,000 congregations of our member communions. May God guide and
bless you in these difficult days.
Sincerely,

Robert W. Edgar, General Secretary

cc:	President George W. Bush
	Secretary Colin Powell
His Beatitude Archbishop Torkom Manoogian, Patriarch
	His Eminence Archbishop Barsamian
	Mr. Jim Towey