From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Council Engages in Planning Process

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:05:58 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 5, 2002

ELCA COUNCIL ENGAGES IN PLANNING PROCESS
02-184-JB

     MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) --  The Church Council of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) met here July 27-29 to offer input and
suggestions into the ELCA strategic planning process.  The focus of
their small-group discussions included key values of the church, and
possible new mission and vision statements.
     The Church Council is the ELCA's board of directors and serves as
the legislative authority of the church between its churchwide
assemblies.  Assemblies are held every other year; the next is Aug. 11-
17, 2003, in Milwaukee.
     This meeting was mostly non-legislative and was intended as a
planning retreat.  It was held here in conjunction with the ELCA Global
Mission Event.
     The ELCA strategic planning process was initiated by the Rev. Mark
S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, and is led by the Rev. Charles S.
Miller, ELCA executive for administration and executive assistant to the
presiding bishop.  A plan for the church is expected to be presented for
consideration by the Church Council in spring 2003.
     "There are dozens of 'points of engagement' in this process for
members in the church," Miller told the council.  "It depends on the
vigorous participation of people."
     Hanson said he hoped the planning process could be done with a
sense of urgency as opposed to anxiety.  "Anxiety-driven strategic
planning won't provide much to keep us going with emergency life
support," he said.  "Planning with a sense of urgency is more exciting
for me.  It comes with a wonderful gift of life and newness of life. If
there isn't a sense of urgency to seek newness in life, then the
strategic planning process won't work."
     The council planning session followed strategic planning sessions
held at ELCA synod assemblies this year.  Synod assembly participants
were asked for responses to specific topics. They most frequently
identified secularization, family matters and technology/communication
as the most important factors in the larger society with the greatest
impact on the church.  The assembly  participants named outreach,
witness and evangelism, Lutheran denominational issues and Bible study,
prayer and discipleship as the most essential things the ELCA must do to
move effectively into the future.
     The ELCA is organized into 65 synods, each headed by a bishop.
Most synods hold annual assemblies in which they elect leaders,
determine budgets and address topics of concern through resolutions.
     In addition to the churchwide strategic planning effort, a number
of "audits" are in progress that accompany the planning process, Miller
said.  They are audits of ELCA communication resources and methods,
human resources, building space at the churchwide offices in Chicago and
a study on income generation, he said.
     The audits will inform the planning process, Miller said.
"Ultimately, we want symmetry and harmony," he said of the multiple
projects underway.
     Synod bishops and pastors will have an important role in
implementing the recommendations from a strategic plan for the church,
said the Rev. Lowell G. Almen, ELCA secretary.
     "How they involve (congregation) councils and synod councils will
be crucial in how we move forward together," Almen said.  "To me, when
we look at audiences, it's important we look at key leaders who may be
agents of engaging what we do here."  Some of the recommendations in the
strategic plan to be presented at the 2003 Churchwide Assembly can be
dealt with in the normal assembly legislative process, he said.
     The next steps in strategic planning will involve discussions of
the suggested mission, vision and values statements with many
individuals and groups throughout and closely related to the ELCA.  On
Oct. 6, at 4 p.m. Eastern Time, Hanson will participate in a live, one-
hour Web cast, to answer questions related to the planning process, said
the Rev. Eric C. Shafer, director, ELCA Department for Communication.
Questions can be submitted now through the planning Web site, he said.
     Next spring, the Church Council is expected to be presented with
key parts of the plan for approval, with a complete report to be
presented to the 2003 Churchwide Assembly in August, Miller said.
     In other business, the council heard a report from Hanson on the
nomination process for director of the ELCA Department for Ecumenical
Affairs.  The director must be nominated by the presiding bishop and
elected by the council.  Hanson said he was not yet prepared to present
a nominee to the council.
     The council agreed to meet by conference call in the near future
to consider Hanson's nominee for the position.  In addition, the
Augsburg Fortress board of trustees will meet in mid-August to discuss a
nominee for the position of president and chief executive officer of the
ELCA publishing house.
     The council also honored Almen at a luncheon for 15 years' service
as ELCA secretary.  "You have been recording what we have done for the
sake of the future," Hanson said.  "You are a great gift to this church,
and it is an honor to be your colleague in leadership in ministry."
     Almen said he was "deeply grateful" for the privilege of serving
15 years.  "We need to be very good stewards of the gift we have been
given," he said.  "We are the beneficiaries of Lutherans who went before
us.  Thank you for your partnership in the gospel from the first day
until now."
-- -- --
     Results from synod assembly planning discussions can be found at
http://www.elca.org/planning on the ELCA's Web site.

For information contact: