From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:27:34 -0400

August 8, 2002

2002-188

Episcopalians: News Briefs

Philippine Independent Church celebrates its centennial

(ENS) Born out of the struggle of the Filipino people to break
free from centuries of colonial oppression and foreign
domination, a new and independent church was proclaimed on
August 3, 1902 by the Union Obrera Democratica, the first labor
union in the Philippines. Within a year the Iglesia Filipina
Independeniente (Philippine Independent Church) had attracted
1.2 million members, about a quarter of the population.

After years of mixed fortunes, the church received the gift
of apostolic succession as signified by the historic episcopate
on April 7, 1948 when three bishops of the Episcopal Church in
the USA consecrated three new IFI bishops at St. Luke's
Pro-Cathedral in Manila. In 1960 the two churches entered into a
concordat of full communion--a relationship that has continued
and been enriched over the years.

To celebrate that relationship, Bishop Christopher Epting,
the presiding bishop's deputy for Ecumenical and Interfaith
Relations, joined the August 2-3 centennial celebration and
signed The Manila Covenant, a document that, among other things,
expresses concern about the disruptive consequences of economic
globalization, the danger of foreign intervention in the
Philippines because of the international war on terrorism, and
the call for restitution from damages caused by centuries of
colonialism. He was joined by the Ven. Peter Golden, archdeacon
of the Diocese of Long Island, in representing the ECUSA.

Epting brought greetings from Presiding Bishop Frank T.
Griswold during the Centennial Mass. "Our two churches have been
friends for many years," he told the congregation of several
thousand. "As we were blessed to share with you the gift of
apostolic succession in the historic episcopate, so you have
shared with us the inseparable nature of the gospel from the
struggle for justice and peace in this world. And just as you
have been faithful in preserving the apostolic ministry," he
added, "so I ask you to pray for us that we may always
faithfully proclaim the gospel in such a way that it truly is
good news to the poor."

In addition to Obispo Maximo Thomas Millamena of the IFI, the
covenant was signed by Archbishop Peter Carnley, primate of the
Anglican Church in Australia; Archbishop Joris Vercammen of the
Old Catholic Church of Utrecht; and representatives of other
churches in full communion with the IFI, including the Church of
Sweden, the Old Catholic Church of Switzerland, the Church of
North India, and other ecumenical partners and friends. The
covenant summarizes the commitment of participants to stand in
solidarity with this thriving church of six million Filipinos,
many of them representing peasants and the working class.

Before the centennial celebration, Epting attended an
International Church Leaders' Solidarity Summit where
participants learned more about the Philippine Independent
Church's history, theology and social teaching. "I was very
moved by the courage and vitality of this young church," he said
on his return, "and I look forward to our finding ways to deepen
our relationship in the coming years."

New archbishop of Canterbury addresses concerns expressed by
critics

(ENS) Archbishop Rowan Williams of Wales, newly appointed
archbishop of Canterbury, has sent a letter to his international
colleagues in the Anglican Communion, asking for their prayers
and addressing concerns expressed by his critics, especially on
sexuality issues.

"At the moment I am chiefly conscious of bringing to the task
only the fear, the confusion and the sense of inadequacy that
come from my personal resources," he said in the letter to
Anglican Communion primates dated July 23. "I have to trust that
God will give (not least through your fellowship and
intercession) what is needed--and that I shall have the grace to
receive and respond to what he gives."

Addressing the "disquiet" expressed by some over his views on
"certain questions, in particular on human sexuality," Williams
said that "an archbishop is not someone elected to fulfil a
programme or manifesto of his own devising, but to serve the
whole Communion. He does not have the freedom to prescribe
belief for the Church at large."

As a participant in the international conversation on
sexuality, he said that he hoped that "what I have written has
contributed to the continuing discussion but my ideas have no
authority beyond that of an individual theologian." He also said
that the 1998 Lambeth Conference resolution against the
ordination of non-celibate gays and lesbians or blessing of
their relationships "declares clearly what is the mind of the
overwhelming majority in the Communion and what the Communion
will and will not approve or authorise. I accept that any
individual diocese or even province that officially overturns or
repudiates this resolution poses a substantial problem for the
sacramental unity of the Communion."

Williams said that he had always tried to distinguish between
"personal theories and interpretations and the majority
conviction of my church." He added, "Since the Lambeth
resolution also commends continuing reflection on these matters,
my main hope will be to try and maintain a mutually respectful
climate for such reflection, in the sort of shared prayerful
listening to Scripture envisaged by Lambeth." He expressed the
hope that "we can hold to the urgent common priority of mission
and evangelism, and avoid the temptation of becoming trapped in
questions where the politics of our culture sets the agenda."

Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold shared the Williams letter
with the bishops of the Episcopal Church as part of background
for their September meeting in Cleveland, pointing out that the
letter "speaks for itself and underscores a point that I have
frequently made: If we are a Communion and not simply a loose
association of national churches then we must take with full
seriousness how our actions affect other parts of the
Communion."

Survey finds that half of Britons attend church at least once a
year

(ENI) A survey by the Baptist Union of Great Britain has
revealed that almost half the population in the nation attends
church at least once a year--exclusive of weddings, baptisms and
funerals. Nine percent said that they attended church once a
week, 10 percent once a month, another 10 percent once a
quarter, and 12 percent once a year. Just three percent said
that they attended more than once a week.

The survey also underscored the difficulties faced by those
who attend church only occasionally. About 18 percent said that
they had reservations about the kind of welcome they received at
church.

"When people come across the threshold it is important that
we make them feel welcome," said Nick Lear, a Baptist Union
mission adviser. "There's always room for improvement." While
attendance at Baptist churches has been increasing while other
denominations have been losing support, he said that "it's a
pattern for all denominations that people are less willing
nowadays to make a commitment."

The Church of England has released attendance figures that
"reveal a larger church than was previously understood," using
statistics for attendance during a whole week, rather than just
on Sundays. In the past, attendance at Christmas and Easter
services was based only on those who took communion. At
Christmas in 2000, 2.85 million attended services but fewer than
half took communion. The church says that the new way of
counting gives a more accurate picture of support, although
critics say it is designed to mask the long-term decline in
attendance at Sunday services.

National Council receives Lilly grant to develop resources
for new programs

(NCC) The National Council of Churches has received a three-year
$500,000 grant from the Lilly Endowment of Indianapolis for
developing resources of new programs, alleviating some of the
financial pressure the ecumenical organization has encountered
in the last few years.

After a major reorganization of staff, facilities and budget,
the NCC has moved from a life-threatening deficit to a balanced
operating budget, stable long-term investments and increased
donor support. The Lilly grant provides an additional boost for
the council's next phase of its renewal, according to council
leaders.

"The Lilly grant is crucial venture capital, assisting us
where we need it most--in reaching out to those who believe in
the kind of work we are doing and who, given appropriate
information, will help underwrite its expansion," said the Rev.
Bob Edgar, who became NCC general secretary in January 2000.

>From its founding in 1950, the NCC has been largely dependent
on the contributions of its 36 member churches. As those
denominations faced dwindling budgets, their investment in
cooperative work through the NCC slowly declined, forcing the
council to draw on its reserves and long-term investments. That
precipitated a financial crisis that threatened its existence.
The Lilly grant will underwrite programs to address the most
critical issues facing member churches in the future.

Canada's Roman Catholics differ with many basic tenets of the
church

(ENI) A poll conducted among Canada's Roman Catholics shortly
before the arrival of Pope John Paul II for July's World Youth
Day in Toronto reveals some deep disagreements over many of the
basic tenets of the church.

A poll by the National Post newspaper shows that 82
percent believe that priests should be allowed to marry and 80
percent think women should be ordained to the priesthood. About
70 percent said that divorced persons should be permitted to
remarry and a similar percentage favored abandoning the church's
ban on birth control.

"While close to one in two Canadians viewed themselves as
Roman Catholic, a majority were exhibiting a pick-and-choose
style that was readily evident in declining attendance, the
selective adoption of beliefs, practices and values, and the
widespread ignoring of church teachings in the area of
sexuality--including sex outside of marriage, birth control,
abortion and homosexuality," said Prof. Reginald Bibby, a
leading expert on religious trends in Canada.

"What we find is that the majority of Catholics across the
board are not holding to the teachings of the Catholic Church,"
he said, "but there are important differences between those who
are actively involved and those who are not."

Bishop Peter Schoenbach, general secretary of the Canadian
Conference of Catholic Bishops, said that the poll results were
not surprising, given the strength of secular influences
everywhere in the nation. On the issue of priestly celibacy, he
said that "there have been interesting situations where Anglican
priests who are married have been accepted into the church. It
isn't by any means a completely closed subject. We are part of a
universal church and what might seem to fit in one country may
not necessarily fit elsewhere."

"The demand for reforms since the Second Vatican Council
[1962-65] cannot be stopped despite all attempts of the Roman
Curia and conservative groups within the church," said Tobias
Raschke of We Are Church Youth, part of a worldwide Catholic
reform movement. "The survey shows clearly that Canadian
Catholics are dissatisfied with the present fundamentalist
policy of the Roman hierarchy. If the church wants to be
relevant in the future it has got to listen to real people--and
the real people are the young people," he said.

Church leaders warn about military build-up in South Asia

(ENI) As India and Pakistan continue their military
confrontation over the disputed region of Kashmir, church
leaders in South Asia have issued a warning against the military
build-up and criticized the money spent on arms in such an
impoverished region.

"The colossal magnitude of human insecurity and deprivations
make South Asia the most vulnerable space on the globe today,"
the church leaders said in a statement issued at the end of
their July meeting in Sri Lanka. The meeting was organized by
the Christian Conference of Asia and the World Council of
Churches.

"The situation here is alarming," said Metropolitan Joseph
Mar Irenaeus from India, one of the CCA presidents. "Development
activities are ignored in the name of national defense." While
those expenditures have increased, the region was facing
"growing economic problems, poverty and malnutrition," he told
the conference. He called the increase in military spending a
"criminal waste of precious resources."

A two percent cut in India's defense spending would enable
the government to provide safe drinking water for 226 million
people, or to supply essential medicines without charge to all
the 135 million people who cannot afford them now, according to
M.A. Oommen, a prominent Indian economist.

The border tensions between India and Pakistan is threatening
the whole region, according to several speakers, making it the
only region in the world where a nuclear war was a real
possibility. Some noted that even very poor countries like
Bangladesh are being drawn into the military build-up.

------