From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Children escape Mideast violence to find haven of peace in Texas

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:43:29 -0400

August 8, 2002

2002-189

Episcopalians: Children escape Mideast violence to find haven
of peace in Texas

by Thomas Blanton

(ENS) A dozen Christian, Jewish and Muslim children escaped the
violence of life in the Middle East in an effort to build
friendships and understanding that may provide a beacon of hope
for peace in the future. And they found that opportunity in July
at Camp Allen in the Diocese of Texas.

Kids4Peace is an extension of the work of Henry Carse,
director of special programs at St. George's College in
Jerusalem, and his wife Anne who have been active in adult
education and interfaith dialogue groups to promote tolerance
and listening. Kids4Peace was a natural extension of the "sheer
weight of the fear shared by Israelis and Palestinians," Carse
said, adding that he is convinced that the initiative will
improve communication and understanding. "We have a chance to
touch future leaders while they are still forming opinions."

Carse believes that "rather than trying to find a political
solution to a religious squabble, we need to find new ways of
communication from within the religious traditions." In Israel
the children regularly visit sites sacred to the three religions
as a way to encourage discussion and build respect. "We tell
them these are all houses of God--and they are open to
everyone," said the Rev. Suheil Dawani, pastor at St. George's
Cathedral and one of the sponsors for the July trip to America.

Troubled place for kids

Although the Kids4Peace children were special guests at Camp
Allen, the diocesan retreat center near Navasota, they joined a
regular camp session and enjoyed the experiences offered to
other campers--swimming, horseback riding, hiking, crafts and
even a gusty electrical storm that scared those not accustomed
to unpredictable summer weather in Texas.

"At the beginning of the week, the kids were staying in the
lakeside cabins with their sponsors," said George Dehan,
president of Camp Allen. Yet as the week progressed they chose
to join the rest of the campers. At the end of the week, they
put on a special program for the rest of the camp. Crowded
around a lakeside campfire at dusk, campers sat enthralled as
the Palestinian and Israeli children performed traditional
Middle Eastern dances to their own music. Festivities included a
traditional Middle Eastern feast with hummus, tabouli and
dolmades prepared by the Kids4Peace children and their sponsors.

Na'ama, a girl from Jerusalem, spoke simply but eloquently
about the struggles she and her friends face daily. "If you
watch the news, you know that adults in the Middle East are
having a hard time," she said. "The kids are having a hard time,
too. Muslims, Christians and Jews don't have to fight. We can
get along very well with each other."

Mission of peace

In the face of the disintegrating political situation and
escalating violence, Carse said that he asked Kids4Peace
advisors to identify families with different backgrounds that
would be willing to participate in the adventure. Once the
children were selected, it was necessary to find a peaceful
place to come together, far away from the violence and strife.
Friends suggested Camp Allen and the travel costs were
generously underwritten by an anonymous benefactor from the
diocese.

"This is an incredible example of how a vision to reach out
opens possibilities beyond our imagination," said Bishop Claude
E. Payne, bishop of Texas and president of the American Friends
of the Diocese of Jerusalem. "Not only were we able to offer a
place of rest and recreation for those exceptional children but
they were also a gift to us."

According to Dawani, follow-up activities are planned to
maintain contact among the children so that bonds of trust and
friendship--beyond religion and culture--will continue to
strengthen throughout their lives. "We hope and pray that our
first experience in bringing Israeli and Palestinian children
together will not be the last but a step in the right
direction," he said.

Eleven-year-old Luban, a girl from Jerusalem, echoed the
sentiment. "We have come here as one group. When we go back to
Jerusalem we will continue our mission of peace."

------

--Thomas Blanton is assistant editor of the Texas
Episcopalian, newspaper of the Diocese of Texas. More
information on the program and a selection of photos are
available at www.kids4peace.org.