From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS - Theological Talks Participants Hopeful

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 10:37:14 -0700

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 47
August 8, 2002

Theological-talks participants hopeful

By David L. Mahsman

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The first in what is intended to be a Synodwide series
of theological conferences to address issues of contention in the Missouri
Synod ended here Aug. 7 on a note of hopeful optimism.

"It's a beginning.  It's a good beginning," said Dr. Samuel H. Nafzger,
executive director of the Commission on Theology and Church Relations
(CTCR), in his closing observations.  He warned, though, that if the
gathering is seen as an end rather than a beginning, it will not have been
very significant.

Conference Facilitator Ted Kober emphasized at the conference opening that
it was to "begin a process to resolve our issues."

Comments from a number of participants, in plenary discussion and
privately, affirmed that this had happened.

"I'm coming away much more optimistic for healing in the Synod," said Rev.
Ronnie Koch, pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Fredericksburg, Iowa.

"I think it's been an experience of Synod at its best," said Rev. Bill
Knippa, pastor of Bethany Lutheran Church, Austin, Texas.

The Aug. 5-7 gathering brought together some 200 participants, most of them
pastors and most appointed by their districts, to discuss what Scripture
and the Lutheran Confessions say about church fellowship, with a focus on
"cases of discretion."  They are now to plan similar conferences in their
districts.

Surfacing regularly in some presentations and in small-group discussions
was the current controversy over Atlantic District President David Benke's
participation in "A Prayer for America" at New York's Yankee Stadium last
September.

"Today we Missouri Synod Lutherans find ourselves teetering on the edge of
a precipice," Dr. Harold Senkbeil told the conference.  Senkbeil, associate
professor of missions and pastoral theology at Concordia Theological
Seminary, Fort Wayne, was one of four speakers invited to provide differing
perspectives to spark discussion.

"In order for harmony and unity to be restored, we all have to start by
stepping back from the edge of the cliff," Senkbeil said.  He said the
first step toward harmony is to "watch our mouths, all of us ...."  The
second step, he added, is to "sit down calmly and fraternally in
deliberate, earnest discussion of the doctrinal confusion that is the real
source of our distress."

The three other speakers were LCMS Presidents Emeritus Ralph A. Bohlmann
and Robert Kuhn and Dr. Thomas Zehnder, former president of the
Florida-Georgia District.

Bohlmann said that asking what Scripture says would be one of the first
questions to be considered in deciding whether or not to take part in an
event like that at Yankee Stadium.

Using Bible passages as though they spoke directly to such events "are
fraught with all kinds of hermeneutical and exegetical dangers," Bohlmann said.

"Instead, what the Scriptures give us are broad general principles,
centered in the Gospel: We are His CHURCH, carrying out His MISSION,
faithful to the TRUTH of the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ, mindful of the UNITY
we have and promote with all other Christians, steadily showing LOVE to all
in the Name of Christ," Bohlmann said.  "Those six major concepts summarize
the heart and core of the Biblical witness and as such provide the matrix
in which we consider and decide such questions as, May I pray at Yankee
Stadium?,' but without giving us a direct answer."

Kuhn suggested "five gates" for determining whether there is room for
pastoral discretion in a given circumstance:  Ask what Scripture says about
the subject, what the Lutheran Confessions say, what the Synod Constitution
and Bylaws say, whether the act will be helpful or harmful to the church,
and if there is any selfish motive involved.

Zehnder urged caution in condemning actions of others in areas of
fellowship and discretion.  "For we must allow and support this business of
responsible freedom to do what we think is proper at a given time and
situation.  And when we disagree, we are called upon by our own Synod's
wisdom to view another person's action with charity -- not to judge one so
quickly and with such certainty."

In addition to presentations and discussion, the conference featured Bible
study, devotions, Holy Communion at a local LCMS congregation, and time for
meditation, confession and absolution.

The conference, funded by a $150,000 grant from Thrivent Financial for
Lutherans, was put together in response to a request last fall from Synod
President Gerald Kieschnick to the CTCR and the Council of Presidents.

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your e-mail address for LCMSNews,
go to the following Web address: