From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopal Church welcomes delegation from Muslim World League to New York

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:08:40 -0400

August 13, 2002

2002-191

Episcopalians: Episcopal Church welcomes delegation from
Muslim World League to New York

by James Solheim

(ENS) A high-ranking delegation representing the Muslim World
League visited with Episcopal Church leaders in New York during
a national "good will" tour in mid-July, laying the groundwork
for what participants hope will be a continuing dialogue.

Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold welcomed the delegation to
the Episcopal Church Center, describing his visit to Rachel's
Tomb near Jerusalem several years ago. As he stood in quiet
prayer, it occurred to him that the mingled prayers at the tomb
could be a metaphor for the relationship among the three
Abrahamic religions--Christianity, Judaism and Islam--and the
common history they share.

H.E. Dr. Abdullah Al-Turki, secretary general of the league
and a member of the High Council of Scholars in Saudi Arabia,
said that the league's visit was an "opportunity to extend
cooperation and mutual understanding with other faiths." He
added that members of the delegation also hoped to "clarify
misconceptions" and emphasize that "Islam is a religion of
tolerance and understanding. We should be talking about
cooperation instead of conflict so that we can have peace in the
whole world," he said.

Dr. Jamal Badawi, president of the Islamic Information
Council in Toronto, said that the religions should not argue
"except in the best possible way." While Islam and Christianity
share the same Lord "there are important theological differences
in their understanding and interpretation." Yet he argued that
it is important to establish common ground at the beginning of
any dialogue because then "hearts are opened and it is a healthy
way to start."

Going beyond courtesies

Badawi said that, in the wake of the September 11 terrorist
attacks in New York and the Pentagon, there has been a campaign
of "Islam bashing," with allegations that Islam is not a
religion of peace. He expressed a hope that, through dialogue,
it will be possible to deal with such questions, going "beyond
courtesy and get into difficult issues."

Al-Turki added that there are people in all religions who
exploit religion but "cooperation will make it difficult for
them to create conflict." He said that "when non-believers
attack any religion they attack all religions."

During the open discussion, Dr. Christopher Taylor, an
Episcopalian who teaches religion and Islamic studies at Drew
University in New Jersey and one of a dozen ecumenical guests at
the meeting, said that he sees two different problems--an
ignorance of Islam but also a lack of respect for religious
pluralism that has developed in much of the Islamic world. In
response, Badawi said that the issue was not really one of
tolerance but the acceptance of religious realities. He pointed
out that Spain, for example, was more accepting of a variety of
religious practices than any other civilization.  He argued that
the media often ignores the persecution of Muslims while
exaggerating the persecution of Christians.

Sharing common ground

The delegation was welcomed to the Diocese of New York by
Bishop Mark Sisk who noted the commonalties between the two
religions but added, "We share important history, some of which
divides us, but ancient and equally important parts of which
draw us together." He said that the two religions share "our
belief in the One God who is eternal and almighty, the One God
who is known and who is yet beyond all knowing. At this
difficult time in the history of our city, nation and world, we
must work hard to keep dialogue alive--to keep active our search
for common ground and shared concerns."

In looking forward to future dialogue, Sisk said that it was
important to him that "all people, of whatever race, culture or
religion, be treated equally and fairly before the law. I see it
as just as important for me to take this stand on behalf of
Muslims in our country as I do for Christians. Therefore, as
part of our dialogue that I hope will unfold over the years, you
can expect, often, to hear me inquire about the treatment of
Christians in your countries," he said. "It is terribly
important to all the leaders of our church that we assure the
safety of our brothers and sisters in Christ, and their ability
to worship peacefully." He asked members of the delegation to
"help us achieve this important goal."

Bishop Christopher Epting, deputy for the Office of
Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations, said that "this is simply
an example of the kind of thing our new work in interfaith
education makes possible. It is one way to 'wage
reconciliation,' which is what our presiding bishop and the
House of Bishops has called this church to be about."

Dr. Lucinda Allen Mosher, who coordinates the Interfaith
Education Initiative (a joint project of Episcopal Relief and
Development and the ecumenical office), said after the meetings,
"What was significant to me was that--even if just for a few
moments--we were able to move the conversation from the very
formal, very measured, to the deeply heartfelt."

The Muslim delegation included leaders from Saudi Arabia, Egypt,
Jordan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Nigeria, India, Canada and the
United States.

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service. Neva Rae
Fox, director of communications for the Diocese of New York,
contributed to this article.